1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the basis of a plane

1. Nov 18, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let W be the plane
    3x + 2y − z = 0 in ℝ3.
    Find a basis for W perpendicular

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I thought a basis for this plane could be generated just by letting x=0 and y=1, finding z and then doing the same thing but this time letting x=1 and y=0 and finding z. If you do that you get:

[0].........[1]
    [1].........[0]
    [2].........[3]

Apparently this is wrong, can anybody tell me what's wrong about this?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2011 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You have just given two points on the plane or, interpreting them as vectors, the position vectors to those points. You want the normal vector [3,2,-1]. At least that's what I think the question is asking for.

4. Nov 18, 2011 #3
    I think the question is asking for a basis of the orthogonal complement of W, usually denoted [itex] W^{\perp} [/itex] and read "W perp." So you wouldn't be looking for a basis for W, but for the set of all vectors perpendicular to W.

EDIT: LCKurtz beat me to it.

5. Nov 18, 2011 #4
    so are you saying that after getting the two vectors that i got solving for z, i should find any 2 other vectors that make the dot product with the first ones zero?

6. Nov 18, 2011 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

No, I don't think that's what they're saying at all. W is the plane, a two-dimensional subspace of R3. W[itex]^\bot[/itex] ("W perp") is therefore a one-dimensional subspace of R3. The normal to the plane is in the same direction as W[itex]^\bot[/itex].

7. Nov 18, 2011 #6
    ohh ok so then the answer is going to be just the vector of the plane itself?

[3,2,-1]

8. Nov 18, 2011 #7

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That isn't the "vector of the plane". It is a vector perpendicular to the plane.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook