Find the Capacitance -- Plates

In summary: If the gaps were connected in series, the charge on each electrode would be the same and the total charge on the electrodes would be 3 times the charge on one gap. If the gaps were connected in parallel, the charge on each electrode would be 1/3 the charge on the top electrode. You can verify that the charge on each electrode is 1/3 the charge on the top electrode.Another way to see this: All three gaps have the same electrodes. If the gaps were connected in series, the charge on each electrode would be the same and the total charge on the electrodes would be 3 times the charge on one gap. If the gaps were connected in parallel, the charge on each electrode would be
Arman777
Insights Author
Gold Member

Homework Statement

In attachments
Adsız 1.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

K.png
This is my charge distrubition.From there I draw electric field lines.And then from potential difference I wrote
##E=\frac {V} {d}## and then ##υ=\frac 1 2ε_0E^2## then ##U=\frac {CV^2}{2}##

I am doing something wrong..I guess I should decide to Are these plates connected in parallel or in series ? But I don't know how to decide that

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Arman777 said:
This is my charge distrubition.From there I draw electric field lines.And then from potential difference I wrote
##E=\frac {V} {d}## and then ##υ=\frac 1 2ε_0E^2## then ##U=\frac {CV^2}{2}##

I am doing something wrong..
So far, I don't see anything wrong. What did you do from this point?

I guess I should decide to Are these plates connected in parallel or in series ? But I don't know how to decide that
Using the approach of this problem, you do not need to decide whether the plates are in parallel or in series. Your answer will tell you if the plates are in series or parallel.

Which part are you working on?

You have a relation between U and C, but you have to determine both.
Arman777 said:
I am doing something wrong..I guess I should decide to Are these plates connected in parallel or in series ? But I don't know how to decide that
In the same way you determine it for every circuit, but you don't necessarily have to determine that.

TSny said:
So far, I don't see anything wrong. What did you do from this point?

Welli I found (a) and it is ##E=\frac {V} {d}## then Energy density will be ##υ=\frac 1 2ε_0E^2## .
I am stucked here I wrote for (b) ##U=\frac {CV^2}{2}## but I don't know what's the "U".Its like saying ##U=U## (I found like this) Thats why something seemes wrong.

mfb said:
You have a relation between U and C, but you have to determine both.

Thats where I am stucked I think here ##E## will be different then ##\frac {V} {d}## otherwise as I said it becomes ##U=U## and ##C=C## which sounds nonsense in some sense

Or its U=3U cause there's 3 segments ? The sum of energy of plates ?

Arman777 said:
Welli I found (a) and it is ##E=\frac {V} {d}## then Energy density will be ##υ=\frac 1 2ε_0E^2## .
I am stucked here I wrote for (b) ##U=\frac {CV^2}{2}## but I don't know what's the "U".Its like saying ##U=U## (I found like this) Thats why something seemes wrong.
How would you express the total U of the system in terms of electric field energy?

Likes mfb
Arman777 said:
Or its U=3U cause there's 3 segments ? The sum of energy of plates ?
Something cannot be 3 times itself (unless it is 0 - it is not).
See TSny's post for a good hint.

mfb said:
Something cannot be 3 times itself (unless it is 0 - it is not).

TSny said:
How would you express the total U of the system in terms of electric field energy?

Not like that I meant ##U_{tot}=3U=3(Ad)υ=3(Ad)\frac 1 2 ε_0E^2=\frac {3CV^2} {2}##

Arman777 said:
##U_{tot}=3U=3(Ad)υ=3(Ad)\frac 1 2 ε_0E^2##
That part is fine.
##=\frac{3CV^2}{2}##
That would need a "capacitance per layer" or something like that. Don't do that.
You have the total energy, you know the voltage, that is sufficient to determine the total capacitance.

Likes Arman777
mfb said:
That part is fine.
That would need a "capacitance per layer" or something like that. Don't do that.
You have the total energy, you know the voltage, that is sufficient to determine the total capacitance.

##C_{tot}=3ε_0 \frac A d## ?

Arman777 said:
##C_{tot}=3ε_0 \frac A d## ?
Yes. But I can't tell how you got that.

TSny said:
Yes. But I can't tell how you got that.

##3(Ad)\frac 1 2 ε_0E^2=\frac {CV^2} {2}## and ##E=\frac V d##

Arman777 said:
##3(Ad)\frac 1 2 ε_0E^2=\frac {CV^2} {2}##
OK.

Likes Arman777
Can you tell from your answer if the three gaps in the system act like capacitors in series or do they act like capacitors in parallel?

TSny said:
Can you tell from your answer if the three gaps in the system act like capacitors in series or do they act like capacitors in parallel?
parallel

Right.

Another way to see this: All three gaps have the same electrodes.

1. What is capacitance?

Capacitance is the ability of a system to store an electric charge. It is measured in farads (F) and is determined by the geometry and material of the system.

2. How do you find the capacitance of plates?

The capacitance of plates can be found using the formula C = εA/d, where C is the capacitance, ε is the permittivity of the material between the plates, A is the surface area of the plates, and d is the distance between the plates.

3. What factors affect the capacitance of plates?

The capacitance of plates is affected by the distance between the plates, the surface area of the plates, and the permittivity of the material between the plates. It is also affected by the dielectric constant of the material between the plates, the shape and size of the plates, and the presence of any other conductors nearby.

4. How do you measure the capacitance of plates?

The capacitance of plates can be measured using a capacitance meter, which measures the charge stored on the plates at a given voltage. It can also be calculated using the formula C = Q/V, where Q is the charge stored on the plates and V is the voltage across the plates.

5. What are some real-life applications of capacitance of plates?

The capacitance of plates has many real-life applications, including in electronic circuits, energy storage devices such as capacitors, and touchscreens. It is also used in sensors, such as in touch-sensitive screens and proximity sensors, and in medical devices, such as pacemakers and defibrillators.