The Net Electric Field Inside a Dielectric

In summary, the net electric field inside a dielectric is given by the equation: $$E_{net} = \frac{1}{4\pi \varepsilon_0 \varepsilon_r} \frac{q}{r^2}$$ This can also be expressed as the applied electric field minus the polarization vector, with the polarization vector given by $$\vec p = \frac{q_{-}}{4\pi \varepsilon_0 \varepsilon_r r^2}$$where q_- represents the charge on the inner surface of the dielectric and q_+ represents the charge on the outer surface. The surface charge density on the outer surface
Hamiltonian
Homework Statement
A conducting sphere of radius r1 is surrounded by a dielectric layer of outer radius r2 and dielectric constant e_r if the conducting sphere is given a charge q, determine the surface charge density of polarization charges on the outer surface of the dielectric layer.
Relevant Equations
$$\vec E_{net} = \frac{\vec E_{applied}}{\varepsilon_r}$$
1635748989753.png

The net Electric field(inside the dielectric):
$$E_{net} = \frac{1}{4\pi \varepsilon_0 \varepsilon_r} \frac{q}{r^2}$$
$$\vec E_{net} = \vec E_{applied} - \vec p$$
where p is the polarization vector.
let charge ##q_{-}## be present on the inner surface of dielectric and ##q_{+}## on the outer surface of the dielectric.
$$\vec p = \frac{q_{-}}{4\pi \varepsilon_0 \varepsilon_r r^2}$$
$$\frac{1}{4\pi \varepsilon_0 \varepsilon_r} \frac{q}{r^2} = \frac{1}{4\pi \varepsilon_0}\frac{q}{r^2} - \frac{q_{-}}{4\pi \varepsilon_0 \varepsilon_r r^2}$$
after simplifying you get:
$$q_{-} = q(\varepsilon_r - 1)$$
$$|q_{-}| = |q_{+}|$$
therefore the final answer(surface charge density on the the outer surface of the dielectric):
$$\sigma_{+} = \frac{q_{+}}{4\pi{ r_2}^2} = \frac{(\varepsilon_r - 1)q}{4\pi {r_2}^2}$$
I have obtained option (c) but the correct answer is (d), I am unable to see why there should be ##\varepsilon_r## in the denominator of my final answer, is there a mistake in the answer given?
or have I severely messed up some where?

Physics news on Phys.org
If dielectric surface is vacuum dielectric constant is 1 and we would observe no charge so I think (c) or (d) is a right answer.
If dielectric surface is metal dielectric constant is + infinity and we would observe opposite sign charge so I choose (d).

I am unable to understand what you are trying to say.

what do you mean by
anuttarasammyak said:
If dielectric surface is metal dielectric constant is + infinity and we would observe opposite sign charge so I choose (d).

I regard conductor has infinite dielectric constant. Please imagine shielding by surrounding conductor.

anuttarasammyak said:
Please imagine shielding by surrounding conductor.
1635760877063.png

this is what the setup looks like, the conductor is surrounded by the dielectric and not vice versa so again I am unable to understand what you are trying to say, could you maybe tell me if there is a mistake in the steps of #1.

1635762340023.png

So the surface charge density is
[tex]\frac{Q}{4\pi r_2^2}[/tex] for infinite ##\epsilon_r##. (d)

Likes Hamiltonian
anuttarasammyak said:
View attachment 291535
So the surface charge density is
[tex]\frac{Q}{4\pi r_2^2}[/tex] for infinite ##\epsilon_r##. (d)
no I don't think the charge on the outermost surface will be Q since there hasn't been a dielectric breakdown, the charge density on the outer surface must be ##<\frac{Q}{4\pi {r_2}^2}##

edit: ok I think I understood your logic supporting why option (d) is correct but how could we arrive at that from first principles?

For finite ##\epsilon_r## yes. You see (d) satisfies your inequality. (c) does not.

And please remind that I have said about conductor infinite ##\epsilon_r##.

Last edited:
Likes Hamiltonian
anuttarasammyak said:
For finite ##\epsilon_r## yes. You see (d) satisfies your inequality. (c) does not.

And please remind that I have said about conductor infinite ##\epsilon_r##.
I understood how you are motivating option (d), as ##\varepsilon_r \rightarrow \infty## i.e, dielectric will tend to behave like a conductor and hence the surface charge density will ted to be ##\frac{q}{4\pi {r_2}^2}##.
but how could we arrive at (d) what mistake have I made in #1

Electric field in dielectric material is
[tex]\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon}\frac{Q}{r^2}[/tex]
It is superposition of source electric field and minus Polarization. Polarization is
[tex]\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\frac{Q_P}{r^2}=\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\frac{Q}{r^2}-\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon}\frac{Q}{r^2}[/tex]
where ##Q_P## is surface charge of dielectric. Thus
[tex]Q_P=(1-\frac{1}{\epsilon_r})Q[/tex]
Please compare it with your thought.

Last edited:
Another approach. The radial component of ##\boldsymbol{D}## is continuous at the interface ##r=r_2##. At ##r = r_2 - \delta## you have ##E_{-} = D/(\epsilon_r \epsilon_0)##. At ##r = r_2 + \delta## you have ##E_{+} = D / \epsilon_0##. So ##E_{+} - E_{-} = (1-\epsilon_r^{-1}) D/\epsilon_0##. But the jump condition on the electric field is ##[E] \equiv E_{+} - E_{-} = \sigma / \epsilon_0##, therefore\begin{align*}
\dfrac{\sigma}{\epsilon_0} = \dfrac{D(1- \epsilon_r^{-1})}{\epsilon_0} \implies \sigma = D(1- \epsilon_r^{-1})
\end{align*}By Gauss' theorem, ##4\pi r^2 D(r) = q_{\mathrm{f}} \implies D = q / (4\pi r_2^2)##. So\begin{align*}
\sigma = \dfrac{q(1- \epsilon_r^{-1})}{4\pi r_2^2}
\end{align*}

1. What is the definition of the net electric field inside a dielectric?

The net electric field inside a dielectric is the sum of all the electric fields from the individual charges within the dielectric material. It is a measure of the strength and direction of the overall electric field inside the material.

2. How does the presence of a dielectric affect the net electric field inside a capacitor?

The presence of a dielectric material between the plates of a capacitor decreases the net electric field inside the capacitor. This is because the electric field lines are "squished" by the dielectric, resulting in a smaller electric field strength.

3. What is the relationship between the dielectric constant and the net electric field inside a dielectric?

The dielectric constant, also known as the relative permittivity, is a measure of how much a material can reduce the electric field inside it. The higher the dielectric constant, the greater the reduction in the net electric field inside the dielectric.

4. Can the net electric field inside a dielectric be zero?

No, the net electric field inside a dielectric cannot be zero. This is because there will always be some electric field from the individual charges within the material, even if it is greatly reduced by the presence of the dielectric.

5. How does the net electric field inside a dielectric differ from the electric field inside a vacuum?

The net electric field inside a dielectric is typically smaller than the electric field inside a vacuum. This is because the presence of the dielectric material reduces the overall electric field strength inside the material.