Find the charge of a mass hanging from a pendulum in an electric field

In summary: I was starting to think I was doing something wrong. In summary, the electric field accelerates the charge but is losing magnitude (## cos(θ) ##) gravity (increasing in magnitude with (## sin(θ) ##)) is decelerating the charge until it comes to rest.
spsch
Homework Statement
A charge with mass 1 gram hanging from a pendulum is at equilibrium 12 cm above the lowest vertical position. E= 9500. l the length of the pendulum is 55 cm.
Relevant Equations
QEd = mgh?
Hi, so I was able to solve this problem by just equating the forces (Tension, mg, and EQ).

But I thought I could also solve this problem with Conservation of Energy.
However, I calculated it several times, and I never get the right answer this way.
Doesn't the Electric Field do the work to put this charge at its new Gravitational Potential Energy position 12cm higher?
Or the -difference in Electric Potential is the Gravitational Potential gained?

## Q*E*d = m*g*x ## and therefore ## \frac {mgx}{Ed} = Q ## ?
Or is there another Energy term I am missing?

Attachments

• IMG_20190622_150404.jpg
    IMG_20190622_150404.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 396
Physics news on Phys.org
spsch said:
Hi, so I was able to solve this problem by just equating the forces (Tension, mg, and EQ).
That is the correct approach.

spsch said:
But I thought I could also solve this problem with Conservation of Energy.
No, this is a force problem, not a conservation of energy problem. (If you released the charge from rest at the bottom position, it would swing up past the equilibrium point.)

Likes spsch
Hello @Doc Al , Thank you very much for answering!
The correct approach has been the most obvious. I'm trying to do old problems in several ways now to practice.

I'm sorry I don't understand yet. Why would the charge swing past the equilibrium point?

Maybe I'm picturing it wrong.
I imagined the charge being released in the middle and the electric field pushed it up to the current position.
Until the forces cancel each other.
x (12cm) above the original position and a distance d along the electric field.
The electric field accelerates the charge but is losing magnitude (## cos(θ) ##) gravity (increasing in magnitude with (## sin(θ) ##)) is decelerating the charge until it comes to rest?

I'm sorry I'm sure I'm being super difficult!

spsch said:
Why would the charge swing past the equilibrium point?
Just because the net force is zero doesn't mean it stops.
spsch said:
I imagined the charge being released in the middle and the electric field pushed it up to the current position.
Until the forces cancel each other.
At that point, it's still moving. So it will keep going until it runs out of kinetic energy.

Here's another example: Say you had a spring. You attach a mass and let it drop. The mass drops, but it keeps moving past the equilibrium point. It doesn't just stop at that point. (In the case of the spring, it oscillates.)

Likes spsch
Doc Al said:
Just because the net force is zero doesn't mean it stops.

At that point, it's still moving. So it will keep going until it runs out of kinetic energy.

Here's another example: Say you had a spring. You attach a mass and let it drop. The mass drops, but it keeps moving past the equilibrium point. It doesn't just stop at that point. (In the case of the spring, it oscillates.)
@Doc Al Thank you. The spring did it for me!

1. What is the purpose of finding the charge of a mass hanging from a pendulum in an electric field?

The purpose of this experiment is to determine the amount of electric charge present in the mass hanging from the pendulum. This can provide valuable information about the properties of the electric field and the mass itself.

2. How does the electric field affect the pendulum's motion?

The electric field exerts a force on the charged mass, causing it to experience a deflection in its motion. This deflection can be measured and used to calculate the charge of the mass.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of the charge measurement?

There are several factors that can affect the accuracy of the charge measurement, such as air resistance, friction, and the precision of the measuring equipment. It is important to minimize these factors as much as possible to obtain an accurate measurement.

4. Can this experiment be used to determine the charge of any object?

No, this experiment is specifically designed to measure the charge of a mass hanging from a pendulum in an electric field. It may not be applicable to other objects with different shapes or properties.

5. What are some potential applications of this experiment?

This experiment can be used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and materials science to study the behavior of charged particles in an electric field. It can also be used to calibrate measuring instruments and to verify the accuracy of existing theories and models.