1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the charge's location

1. Feb 17, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The electric field at the point x=5.0cm and y=0 points in the positive x direction with a magnitude of 10.0N/C. At the point x=10.0cm and y=0, the electric field points in the positive x direction with a magnitude of 16.0 N/C. Assume this electric field is produced by a single point charge.
    Find the charge's location

2. Relevant equations
    E= kq/r^2

3. The attempt at a solution
    So my teacher substituted (x-5) for r^2 and got a quadratic equation. I solved for the quadratic but I'm not getting the right answer.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2009 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Using the Coulomb's e field relationship you should be able to directly relate the 2 field values such that

16*X2 = 10*(X+5)2

The product of the distance squared times the field = the same thing.

The one that is further away will have a smaller |E|.

4. Feb 19, 2009 #3
    I am having the same problem. Yet out of Coulomb's e Field relationship I get the related field values however when I plus in the appropriate X values they are not equal. I agree that one is further away however that does not determine the charges location.

Thanks much!

5. Feb 19, 2009 #4

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Welcome to PF.

Be careful in what X represents. It is the distance along the X axis from 10 cm. So the location of the charge if that's what you are looking for is at 10 + X cm.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook