Find the coordinates of the point on the ellipsoid where the major axis meet

In summary, to find the angle between point p and the center of the ellipsoid, you can first calculate the unit vector of the major axis and then use the dot product between the vector from the center to point p and the unit vector of the major axis. This will give you the angle between the two points.
ppmko
I have a point p(xp,yp,zp) inside an ellipsoid and i want to find the angle of that point from the center of the ellipsoid(xc,yc,zc) .

I also have
the major axis length 'a' ,with length ax,ay and az components

I calculated the unit vector of axis a with formula length of axis 'a"/sqrt(ax^2+ay^2+az^2).

how do i find the angle at which p makes with the center of ellipsoid from the from axis a

I calculated the coordinates of the point that intersect the major axis on the ellipsoid using the unit vector by calculating the xcoordinate as ax/sqrt(ax^2+ay^2+az^2) similarly for y and z coordinates
this give me 2 set of coordinates .now i have new coordinates of the point that intersects the major axis on the ellipsoid and the coordinates of p . Now i use distance formula and then use the cosine law for triangles to find the angle betwen the point p and the center of the ellipsoid.pls let me know if this is correct.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there, it seems like you are on the right track with your approach. One way to find the angle between point p and the center of the ellipsoid would be to first find the vector from the center of the ellipsoid to point p, which can be calculated by subtracting the coordinates of the center (xc, yc, zc) from the coordinates of point p (xp, yp, zp).

Next, you can calculate the unit vector of the major axis as you have done (ax/sqrt(ax^2+ay^2+az^2), ay/sqrt(ax^2+ay^2+az^2), az/sqrt(ax^2+ay^2+az^2)).

Then, you can use the dot product between the vector from the center to point p and the unit vector of the major axis to find the angle between them. The dot product can be calculated as:

cos(theta) = (v1 * v2) / (||v1|| * ||v2||)

Where v1 is the vector from the center to point p and v2 is the unit vector of the major axis. Theta represents the angle between them.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is an ellipsoid?

An ellipsoid is a three-dimensional geometric shape that resembles a squashed sphere. It is defined by three axes - a major axis, a minor axis, and an intermediate axis - which intersect at the center of the shape.

2. What do you mean by "major axis"?

The major axis of an ellipsoid is the longest of the three axes and runs through the center of the shape. It is also known as the equatorial axis or the semi-major axis.

3. How do you find the coordinates of the point where the major axis meets the ellipsoid?

To find the coordinates of this point, you will need to know the equation of the ellipsoid and the value of the major axis. You can then plug in the value of the major axis into the equation to solve for the coordinates of the point.

4. What is the significance of finding this point on the ellipsoid?

This point is important because it represents the equator of the ellipsoid, where the surface of the shape is at its widest. It is also used in calculating the volume and surface area of the ellipsoid.

5. Can the coordinates of this point change?

Yes, the coordinates of this point can change if the size or shape of the ellipsoid is altered. For example, if the major axis is lengthened or shortened, the coordinates of the point where it meets the ellipsoid will also change.