Find the current that flows (electric feild)

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the electric field and potential difference between two spheres at a given potential difference. The equation used to find the current is I= V/R, and the resistance between the spheres is determined using Ohm's law. The difference in equations used for spheres and cylinders is also mentioned.
leonne

Homework Statement

2 spheres at a potential diff V what current flows from one to the other

Homework Equations

I=[tex]\int[/tex]j.da

The Attempt at a Solution

My question is about finding the electric field. I thought it would be E=[tex]\sigma[/tex]/[tex]\epsilon[/tex] but they have it has E= Q/4[tex]\pi[/tex]r2[tex]\epsilon[/tex] why is it? Then they find the potential difference and plug that in for Q.
In a similar problem but with cylinders, they do what I thought. The get E=[tex]\lambda[/tex]/[tex]\epsilon[/tex]2[tex]\pi[/tex]s

Physics news on Phys.org
. I'm confused about why it is different for spheres and cylinders. The answer for the question is I= V/R where R is the resistance between the two spheres. To find R, we use Ohm's law, R = V/I, and so I = V/R.

1. What is electric current?

Electric current is the flow of electric charge through a conductor. It is measured in amperes (A) and is commonly referred to as the rate of flow of electric charge.

2. How is electric current related to electric field?

Electric current is directly proportional to the strength of the electric field. This means that the higher the electric field, the greater the flow of electric charge or current.

3. How do you calculate the current flowing in a circuit?

The current flowing in a circuit can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that current (I) is equal to the voltage (V) divided by the resistance (R), or I = V/R. This equation can also be rearranged to solve for voltage or resistance.

4. What factors affect the flow of electric current?

The flow of electric current can be affected by the voltage, resistance, and the material of the conductor. Higher voltages and lower resistances will result in a greater flow of current, while materials with high conductivity, such as metals, allow for easier flow of current.

5. How does changing the electric field affect the flow of current?

Changing the electric field can increase or decrease the flow of current. By increasing the electric field, the current will also increase, while decreasing the electric field will result in a decrease in current. This relationship is described by Ohm's Law, which states that current is directly proportional to the electric field strength.