Find Current I3 in Circuit - Homework Statement

• Thread starter Gauss M.D.
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Current
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the current marked I3 in a circuit and using equations to solve for it. However, there is a mistake in the original attempt at a solution and it is pointed out by another person that the voltage over R3 and R4 is also the same. The question is then clarified if I2 is still the sum of I3 and I4.
Gauss M.D.

Homework Statement

Find the current marked I3 in the circuit.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The voltage over R2 and R1 is the same. The current I0 (12mA) is the sum of I2 and I1.

I1*R1 = I2*R2:
4*I1 = 1.25*I2

I1 + I2 = 12 <=> I2 = 12 - I1

4*I1 = 1.25*(12 - I1) = 15 - 1.25I1
5.25*I1 = 15

I1 = 2.86

I think I've messed up already here. Can anyone spot what I'm doing wrong??

Attachments

• circ1.png
    circ1.png
    4.4 KB · Views: 413
Physics news on Phys.org
Gauss M.D. said:

Homework Statement

Find the current marked I3 in the circuit.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The voltage over R2 and R1 is the same. The current I0 (12mA) is the sum of I2 and I1.

I1*R1 = I2*R2:
4*I1 = 1.25*I2

It is wrong. The voltage over R3 and R4 is the same .

Gauss M.D. said:
I1 + I2 = 12 <=> I2 = 12 - I1

4*I1 = 1.25*(12 - I1) = 15 - 1.25I1
5.25*I1 = 15

I1 = 2.86

I think I've messed up already here. Can anyone spot what I'm doing wrong??

Likes 1 person
Thanks! Is I2 still the sum of I3+I4 though? :S

Gauss M.D. said:
Thanks! Is I2 still the sum of I3+I4 though? :S

Sure.

Your approach to finding the current I3 in the circuit is correct. However, there are a few errors in your calculations. Firstly, the voltage over R2 and R1 is not necessarily the same, as there is a voltage drop across each resistor. Secondly, the equation I1*R1 = I2*R2 is not applicable in this circuit. Instead, the correct equation to use is I1*R1 = I2*R2 + I3*R3. Additionally, the equation I1 + I2 = 12 is incorrect as it does not take into account the current through R3. The correct equation is I1 + I2 + I3 = 12. By rearranging and substituting for I2 and I3, you should get the correct value for I3 as 2.86 mA. Remember to always consider all components in the circuit when solving for current.

1. What is the purpose of finding current I3 in a circuit?

The purpose of finding current I3 in a circuit is to understand how electricity flows through different components of the circuit and to determine the amount of current that is passing through a specific point in the circuit.

2. What information do I need to find current I3 in a circuit?

To find current I3 in a circuit, you will need to know the voltage across the circuit, the resistance of each component, and the type of circuit (series or parallel).

3. How do I calculate current I3 in a series circuit?

In a series circuit, the current remains the same throughout the circuit. To calculate current I3, divide the total voltage of the circuit by the total resistance. This will give you the current passing through all components in the circuit, including I3.

4. How do I calculate current I3 in a parallel circuit?

In a parallel circuit, the current is divided between each branch of the circuit. To calculate current I3, you will need to use Ohm's Law (I = V/R). First, determine the total resistance of the parallel circuit. Then, use Ohm's Law to calculate the current passing through the specific branch that contains I3.

5. Can I use Kirchhoff's Laws to find current I3?

Yes, you can use Kirchhoff's Laws (Kirchhoff's Current Law and Kirchhoff's Voltage Law) to find current I3 in a circuit. These laws help to analyze the flow of current and voltage in a circuit and can be used to solve for I3 in both series and parallel circuits.