1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the De Broglie wavelength

1. Apr 23, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Johnny Jumper's favorite trick is to step out of his high-rise window and fall 56.0 m into a pool. A news reporter takes a picture of 70.0 kg Johnny just before he makes a splash, using an exposure time of 7.00 ms. Find the following.

(a) Johnny's de Broglie wavelength at this moment

2. Relevant equations

wavelength = h / (mv) v = x/t

3. The attempt at a solution

so I know figured out v which is just 56 m / .007 s = 8000 m/s
    I know m = 70 kg
    I plug it in to the equation wavelength = (6.63e-34) / ((8000)(70)))

I got 1.18e-39 m. It saids I am wrong, plz help
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2007 #2

Homework Helper

I'm slightly confused by your first step in which you divide the 56 meter height of the building by the camera's shutter speed to come at 8 thousand meters per second.

If you are trying to calculate his speed at impact, this is not the right way to do it.
  4. Apr 24, 2007 #3
    You can calculate his speed but using: [tex] v^2=2gs, (u^2=0[/tex] in this case). You can use [tex]\lambda=\frac{h}{\sqrt{2mT}}[/tex] where T is the kinetic energy of the man at that point.

The virtue of using [tex]v^2[/tex] for this equation is that you can use it directly to calculate the kinetic energy. I think thats it, though I dont know how the shutter speed plays in. The man is accelerating with 'g' at that point if it helps though.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?