1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the derivative by hand.

1. Dec 3, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    [tex] \frac{d^2}{dz^2} [ (z^2) \(\frac{-(z-\frac{1}{z})^2}{20+8(z+\frac{1}{z})} \frac{1}{iz}] [/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I have to do this by hand no calculators, CAS, or tables. I started by just expanding things and using the quotient rule, but it got real messy real fast. Any ideas?
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2007 #2
    It is often easier to simplify first, and then differentiate. Let's see if we can rewrite your product of fractions:

[tex]z^2\cdot \frac{-(z-\frac{1}{z})^2}{20+8(z+\frac{1}{z})} \cdot \frac{1}{iz}
    = \frac{z^2[-(z^2-2+\frac{1}{z^2})]}{20+8(z+\frac{1}{z})} \cdot \frac{1}{iz}
    = \frac{-(z^4 + 2z^2 + 1)}{[20+8(z+\frac{1}{z})]z} \cdot \frac{1}{i}
    = -\frac{z^4 + 2z^2 + 1}{20z+8z^2+8} \cdot \frac{1}{i}
    = -\frac{z^4+2z+1}{8z^2+20z+8} \cdot (-i)
    [/tex]

which finally simplifies to

[tex]i \cdot \frac{z^4 + 2z + 1}{8z^2+20z+8} =
    \frac{i}{4} \cdot \frac{z^4+2z^2+1}{2z^2+5z+2} [/tex]

You can stop here and use the quotient rule for the first derivative; then differentiate the result to obtain the second derivative.

You may find it easier to write this fraction as a product (I personally consider the product rule to be cleaner and faster than the quotient rule, though they are equivalent in many respects).

[tex]
    \frac{i}{4} \cdot \frac{z^4+2z^2+1}{2z^2+5z+2} =
    \frac{i}{4} (z^4+2z+1) \cdot (2z^2+5z+2)^{-1}
    [/tex]

Using this form, just differentiate using the product rule, and don't simplify the result (because it makes finding the second derivative easier; we just apply the product rule again).

Last edited: Dec 4, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?