Find the derivative of the integral from 0 to x^4 (sec(t)dt)

In summary, the derivative of the integral from 0 to x^4 (sec(t)dt) is sec(x^4)(4x^3). The chain rule is used in this situation because it is a derivative and the chain rule is applied. The derivative of the integral from 0 to ln(x) (sint + t^3/2)dt using the chain rule and FTC1 is \sin(\ln x) + (\ln x)^\frac{3}{2} dt. To get the correct answer, both parts of the equation should be multiplied by \frac{1}{x}.
sapiental
find the derivative of the integral from 0 to x^4 (sec(t)dt)

I get sec(x^4)(4x^3)

I understand the procedure for solving this integral. However, I don't understand why exactly we need to use the chain rule in this situation.

Why isn't the answer just sec(x^4)?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex] \frac{d}{dt} \int_{0}^{x^{4}} \sec t dt [/tex]. Basically you are getting a derivative. If its a derivative then you have to use the chain rule.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply. How about this problem

d/dx integral 0 to ln(x) (sint + t^3/2)dt

using the chain rule and ftc1 I get:

u = ln(x) du/dx = 1/x

d/du (sinu + u^3/2)du/dx

sin(lnx)+(lnx)^3/2 (1/x)

is this correct? Thanks again.

[tex] \frac{d}{dx} \int_{0}^{\ln x} (\sin t + t^{\frac{3}{2}}) dt [/tex]. So the derivative so far, is [tex] \sin(\ln x) + (\ln x)^\frac{3}{2} dt [/tex]. So then it would be:

[tex] \frac{\sin(\ln x)}{x} + \frac{(\ln x)^{\frac{3}{2}}}{x} [/tex].

Last edited:
so my answer was off by not multiplying both parts by 1/x? Thanks.

Last edited:
I took the derivative of u. i confirmed your answer.

ok ok, thanks!

yeah, both parts need to be multiplied by [tex] \frac{1}{x} [/tex]. They both contain u and thus must contain du .

1. What is the process for finding the derivative of an integral?

The process for finding the derivative of an integral involves using the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus, which states that the derivative of an integral from a to x is equal to the function evaluated at x. In other words, the derivative of the integral is the function itself.

2. How do you apply the chain rule to find the derivative of an integral?

To apply the chain rule to find the derivative of an integral, you need to first rewrite the integral in terms of a new variable, such as u. Then, take the derivative of the function with respect to u, and multiply it by the derivative of u with respect to x.

3. Can the derivative of an integral be negative?

Yes, the derivative of an integral can be negative. This can happen when the function being integrated is decreasing over the interval of integration.

4. How do you find the derivative of a definite integral?

To find the derivative of a definite integral, you can use the formula for the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus. Alternatively, you can evaluate the integral at the upper limit, subtract the integral evaluated at the lower limit, and then take the derivative of the resulting expression.

5. What is the derivative of the integral from 0 to x^4 (sec(t)dt)?

The derivative of the integral from 0 to x^4 (sec(t)dt) is simply the function sec(x^4). This is because the derivative of an integral is the function being integrated, evaluated at the upper limit. In this case, the upper limit is x^4, so the derivative is sec(x^4).