Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Find the derivative

1. Jun 20, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find f' of ln[((x2+1).5) / x(2x3-1)2]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know the derivative of ln(x) is 1/x... however I don't know how to start this particular problem. I think there is a easier way to solve this without trying to solve the derivative of [((x2+1).5) / x(2x3-1)2]..?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 20, 2010 #2
    You need to use the chain rule. And I don't think there is an "easy" way to do this (i.e. a shortcut). You just need to do a lot of bookkeeping.

Also although you are correct to say that d/dx [ln(x)] = 1/x, that does not really help since the argument of the log function is not 'x' it is a function of x. So we say that if 'u' is a function of x, then d/dx [ln(u)] = 1/u *du/dx.

That is the chain rule applied to the natural log function.

4. Jun 20, 2010 #3

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

Use the laws of logarithms:

[tex]\ln\left[\frac{(x^2+ 1)^{.5}}{x(2x^3-1)^2}\right]= .5 ln(x^2+ 1)- ln(x)- 2ln(2x^3- 1)[/tex]

That's a little easier to differentiate.

5. Jun 20, 2010 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Before differentiating, use the properties of logs so that instead of the log of a quotient, you're working with a difference of logs. You will need to use the chain rule when you actually start differentiating.

6. Jun 20, 2010 #5

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

Wow, three responses in three minutes.

But, this time, I got in before Mark44!!!

7. Jun 20, 2010 #6
    Thanks! :)

8. Jun 20, 2010 #7

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I'm having a slow day:smile:

9. Jun 20, 2010 #8
    Muh hahaha! But not before me! Now somebody answer my Incomplete Gamma function question!

10. Jun 21, 2010 #9
    HallsoftIvy,

If this was the star wars univers you would be yoda and the rest of us younglings!

11. Jun 21, 2010 #10

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

How did you find out I was short and wrinkly?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook