1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Find the derivative

1. Jun 20, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find f' of ln[((x2+1).5) / x(2x3-1)2]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know the derivative of ln(x) is 1/x... however I don't know how to start this particular problem. I think there is a easier way to solve this without trying to solve the derivative of [((x2+1).5) / x(2x3-1)2]..?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 20, 2010 #2
    You need to use the chain rule. And I don't think there is an "easy" way to do this (i.e. a shortcut). You just need to do a lot of bookkeeping.

Also although you are correct to say that d/dx [ln(x)] = 1/x, that does not really help since the argument of the log function is not 'x' it is a function of x. So we say that if 'u' is a function of x, then d/dx [ln(u)] = 1/u *du/dx.

That is the chain rule applied to the natural log function.

4. Jun 20, 2010 #3

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

Use the laws of logarithms:

[tex]\ln\left[\frac{(x^2+ 1)^{.5}}{x(2x^3-1)^2}\right]= .5 ln(x^2+ 1)- ln(x)- 2ln(2x^3- 1)[/tex]

That's a little easier to differentiate.

5. Jun 20, 2010 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Before differentiating, use the properties of logs so that instead of the log of a quotient, you're working with a difference of logs. You will need to use the chain rule when you actually start differentiating.

6. Jun 20, 2010 #5

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

Wow, three responses in three minutes.

But, this time, I got in before Mark44!!!

7. Jun 20, 2010 #6
    Thanks! :)

8. Jun 20, 2010 #7

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I'm having a slow day:smile:

9. Jun 20, 2010 #8
    Muh hahaha! But not before me! Now somebody answer my Incomplete Gamma function question!

10. Jun 21, 2010 #9
    HallsoftIvy,

If this was the star wars univers you would be yoda and the rest of us younglings!

11. Jun 21, 2010 #10

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

How did you find out I was short and wrinkly?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook