1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the Derivative

1. Mar 20, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find dy/dx: 4a^2b - 3b^2 = a^3 Please SIMPLIFY this one

Find f'(x): f(x) = (3x^4) [6/(3√x^5)] (6x^2 - 3x)^5 The middle is 6 divided by the cube root of x^5, Please do not simplify fully for this one and use the product rule

3. The attempt at a solution

i got - (8ab - 3a^2)/(4a^2 - 6b) using the implicit rule
    However I need some help simplifying

For the second one, would my approach be (derivative of first)(original second)(original third) + (derivative of second)(original first)(original third) + (derivative of third)(original first)(original second) ?

Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 20, 2013 #2
    Think makes no sense to me.

What are you trying to do?

4. Mar 20, 2013 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Your approach for the second is fine. The first is unintelligible. Please check what you wrote.

5. Mar 20, 2013 #4
    Is this not the result of the implicit method? Should I not even be using the implicit method? I thought I had to with numerator being the derivative with respect to "a" and the denominator the derivative with respect to "b"

6. Mar 20, 2013 #5
    How should we know what you need to do if its not even clear what you're question asking?

You just simply said Find dy/dx, then gave an expression in terms of a and b then said simplify.

What does that even mean?

7. Mar 20, 2013 #6
    Sorry about the a and b, it should be a=x and b = y (teacher gave it to us like that) but the question is to simply find the derivative (dy/dx).... i dont know what more I can tell you...

8. Mar 20, 2013 #7

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Ok, but it still doesn't make sense: Find dy/dx: 4x2y - 3y2 = x3. What's the equals sign doing?

9. Mar 20, 2013 #8
    I have to set it equal to zero and use implicit differentiation

10. Mar 20, 2013 #9

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Sorry, I was confusing two questions. Your answer looks right.

11. Mar 20, 2013 #10
    Ok Thank you! but is that all it can be simplified down to?

12. Mar 20, 2013 #11

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You could factorise out an x in the numerator, but other than that, that's as simple as it will go.

13. Mar 20, 2013 #12
    May I ask you one more question? How would i find the derivative of (1/x) + (1//y) = 1 using implicit and for a question like (x^2/19) - (y^2/9) = 1 would I find the common denominator and then go through with implicit differentiation?

14. Mar 21, 2013 #13

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You can just differentiate straight away. What's the difficulty? Yes, multiplying out first might make it a little simpler.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted