1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the dH for a system

1. Sep 26, 2009 #1
    dH = dU + P dV

dU = q - P dV

I need to find the dH for a system (1mol gas)going from P=1.24 atm to P=0.62atm, with constant volume of 46.72 L. I already found the value of q = -4402 J, w=0 , and dU = -4402 J

I think dH = dU since its change in V is 0. So my answer was dH =dU = -4402J. But i dont' know why i can't get the answer.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2009 #2
    Re: enthalpy

nevermind, i figured out what i was missing.

4. Sep 26, 2009 #3

if I want to find the enthalpy change of a whole cycle, do i add up all the enthalpy of each step? The system goes from A to B, from B to C, and from C back to A

5. Sep 27, 2009 #4

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

1. Is enthalpy a state variable? If so, what are the implications for changes over a complete cycle?

2. Your differential enthalpy equation isn't quite right.

6. Sep 27, 2009 #5

ya, enthalpy is a state variable. so this means that it doesn't depend on the path, right? so if i want to find change in enthalpy, it will be the final enthalpy minus initial enthalpy?

7. Sep 27, 2009 #6

if its not a state variable (i.e heat (q)), it would be path dependant, which means for a complete cycle, you would have to add up the heat at each step, correct?

8. Sep 28, 2009 #7

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Agreed, enthalpy is a state variable (i.e., its value is determined only by the system's current state). So if the system returns to its original state at the end of a cycle, what is the enthalpy change?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook