'Find the differential dy'

The correct answer is a single number.In summary, there was a conversation about finding the derivative and concavity of two equations: y= [sec^2(x)] / [x^2 + 1] and f(x)=sinx + cosx, [0, 2pi]. The conversation consisted of misunderstandings and incorrect attempts to find the solutions. After clarification from another person, the correct derivatives and points of inflection were found.
VikingStorm
I'm having problems with this one:

y= [sec^2(x)] / [x^2 + 1]

dy = tanx(x^2+1) - 2x(sec^2) dx / (x^2+1)^2

That's basically what I got so far, is that it, or can I simplify more (or did I derive something wrong)?

Physics news on Phys.org
I get:

dy = 2 sec2(x) [tan(x)(x2+1) - x] dx / (x2+1)2

Would you be kind enough to explain parts of that, I don't seem to be able to see how you got the top.

Instead, why don't you explain your derivation, and I'll tell you what step(s), if any, I don't agree with.

I can arrive at your expression if I were to incorrectly use,

d(sec2(x))/dx = tan(x)

Is that what you did?

Originally posted by Ambitwistor
I can arrive at your expression if I were to incorrectly use,

d(sec2(x))/dx = tan(x)

Is that what you did?

Ah.. that must be it, I was not aware it wasn't the same backwards

*tries again*

Originally posted by VikingStorm
Ah.. that must be it, I was not aware it wasn't the same backwards

Do you mean, because d(tan(x))/dx = sec2(x), you thought that d(sec2(x))/dx = tan(x)? i.e., the derivative of a function is its own integral? That's almost never true, except for the hyperbolic sine and cosine functions.

I'm having a bit of trouble with these as well (finding points of inflection, and concavity):

f(x)=(x+1)/sqrt(x)
f'= x^(-1/2) + (-1/2x^(-3/2))(x+1)
Where do I go from here?

f(x)=sinx + cosx, [0, 2pi]
What I did:
f'=cosx - sinx
f"=-sinx - cosx
-sinx - cosx = 0
-sinx = cosx
I'm not sure what to do next from here, divide by -sinx? and Solve cotx = 1? (And solving for x should get me my point of inflection after plugging into the original function correct? And then it would be (0,x) (x, 2pi)?)

With as much misunderstanding as I see here, you need to go to your teacher for assistance. (General rule: NEVER try to fool your teacher into thinking you can do the homework!)

The simplest way to differentiate √(x) is to write it as
x1/2.

The simplest way to differentiate (x+1)/√(x) is to write it as f(x)=(x+1)x-1/2= x1/2+ x-1/2.

Then f'(x)= (1/2)x-1/2- (1/2)x-3/2

Where do you go from here? Since concavity depends on the second derivative, differentiate again!

f"(x)= -(1/4)x-3/2- (3/4)x-5/2.

The graph is concave upward as long as the second derivative is positive, concave downward as long as it is negative and has a point of inflection where it changes from positive to negative: you need to find where f"= 0 to divide the real line into intervals and then determine on which intervals f" is positive or negative.

"f(x)=sinx + cosx, [0, 2pi]
What I did:
f'=cosx - sinx
f"=-sinx - cosx
-sinx - cosx = 0
-sinx = cosx"

Okay, so far that's correct. Now what values of x satisfy that equation? Many people would be able to look at the equation and immediately write down the solutions (what kind of right triangle has both legs of equal length?). Yes, you can write as a "cotangent"
cot(x)= -1 (NOT 1!) or as "tangent"- divide both sides by cos(x) to get -tan(x)= 1 or tan(x)= -1. What values of x have that property?
(If you use a calculator, I recommend you put it in "degree" mode- you should be able to recognize the "obvious" answer then.)

No, the correct answer is not of the form (x, 2pi) and certainly not (0, x).

1. What is the purpose of finding the differential dy?

The purpose of finding the differential dy is to determine the rate of change of a function with respect to its independent variable. It is a fundamental concept in calculus and is used to solve problems related to optimization, motion, and growth.

2. How is the differential dy calculated?

The differential dy is calculated using the derivative of the function. This involves finding the slope of the tangent line at a specific point on the function's graph. The derivative can be calculated using various methods such as the power rule, product rule, and chain rule.

3. What is the difference between dy and dx?

Dy and dx are both differentials, but they represent different variables. Dy represents the change in the dependent variable, while dx represents the change in the independent variable. In other words, dy is the output and dx is the input of the function.

4. Can the differential dy be negative?

Yes, the differential dy can be negative. This indicates that the function is decreasing at that point. The sign of the differential dy can provide information about the direction of change of the function.

5. How is the differential dy used in real-world applications?

The differential dy is used in various fields such as physics, economics, and engineering to model and analyze real-world phenomena. It can be used to predict the behavior of systems, optimize processes, and solve problems related to rates of change.