How to Find Discontinuities Without a Calculator?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the discontinuities of a specific fraction without using a calculator, with the teacher not being of help and no answer being available in the book. It is mentioned that the problem may have been solved by the Arabs many years ago and a hint is given to use a square root symbol. It is also mentioned that the individual is not good at math.
DieCommie
How can i find the discontinuitys of [tex] \frac{3x+1}{\ x^2+7x-2}[/tex] without a calculator?

This is an even numbered homework question to which the teacher says he won't help us and there is no answer in the book, plus we are not allowed to use calculators.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
hows your history? i believe this problem was solved by the arabs many hundreds of years ago.

hint: you may have to use a square root symbol.

Think of when a fraction is left undefined.

My history with math is I am very bad at it.

edit- OK I think I just have to use the quadratic formula by hand instead of on a calc so i get exact answers. wow I am stupid :rofl:

Thx for the help guys.

Last edited:
mathwonk said:
hows your history? i believe this problem was solved by the arabs many hundreds of years ago.

hint: you may have to use a square root symbol.

:rofl: nice one mathwonk, i'll save this one for next time :devil:

What is a discontinuity?

A discontinuity is a point on a graph where there is a sudden jump or break in the function. It can also be described as a point where the function is undefined or does not exist.

Why is it important to find discontinuities?

Finding discontinuities is important because it helps us understand the behavior of a function. It can also help us identify any errors or flaws in the data or mathematical model.

How do you find a discontinuity?

To find a discontinuity, you need to analyze the graph of the function and look for sudden jumps or breaks. You can also check for any undefined points or points where the function does not exist.

What are the different types of discontinuities?

There are three main types of discontinuities: removable, jump, and infinite. A removable discontinuity is when the function has a hole or gap at a certain point. A jump discontinuity is when the function has two different values at a certain point. An infinite discontinuity is when the function approaches infinity at a certain point.

How can discontinuities be avoided?

Discontinuities can be avoided by making sure the function is continuous. This means that the function has no sudden jumps or breaks and is defined at every point on the graph. To ensure continuity, the function should be well-defined and have a smooth and continuous graph.