Find the distance between Helsinki and Seattle......

• Thread starter science_rules
  • Start date
In summary: I am not sure how to do the calculations.In summary, an astronomy book is not helpful in solving this problem.
science_rules

Homework Statement

This is an astronomy problem. I know how to find cos(AOB) but I am not sure what to do after this.
Find the distance between Helsinki and Seattle along the shortest route. Where is the northernmost point of the route, and what is its distance from the North Pole? The longitude of Helsinki is 25degrees East and latitude 60degrees; the longitude of Seattle is 122degrees West and latitude 48degrees. Assume that the radius of the Earth is 6370 km.
The answers are supposed to be: 7,640 km(approximate distance), northernmost point = 79degrees North, 45degree West, in North Greenland 1,250 km from the North Pole.

Homework Equations

cos(AOB) = cos(latA)cos(latB)cos(lonB-lonA)+sin(latA)sin(latB)

The Attempt at a Solution

cos(AOB) = cos(60)cos(48)cos(122-25)+sin(60)sin(48) = (0.5)*(0.66913060635)*(-0.1218693434)+(0.86602540378)*(0.74314482547) = 0.6028090437
I know to get the great circle distance between A and B I need
R, the radius of the Earth which is 6370 km. Is the distance between A and B: R*AOB?
The scalar product is: R2cosAOB

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
A web search should turn up a suitable reference on great-circle routes. For example, this page.

Likes science_rules
gneill said:
A web search should turn up a suitable reference on great-circle routes. For example, this page.
That still doesn't really help me. The astronomy book that I have does a poor job at explaining the steps. I'm trying to study on my own

science_rules said:
That still doesn't really help me. The astronomy book that I have does a poor job at explaining the steps. I'm trying to study on my own
I'm not sure what you're missing. That page shows how to calculate the great-circle distance (and even has an example similar to your problem), and shows how to find the northernmost point along the route.

Likes science_rules
science_rules said:
This is a problem in terrestrial navigation. I'm not sure why you are using an astronomy book for an explanation.

SteamKing said:
This is a problem in terrestrial navigation. I'm not sure why you are using an astronomy book for an explanation.
The same calculations arise: two coordinates specified as latitude and longitude, and wanting to know the angle between them.

gneill said:
I'm not sure what you're missing. That page shows how to calculate the great-circle distance (and even has an example similar to your problem), and shows how to find the northernmost point along the route.
I am reading the page on the link you gave me, I will get back to you when I have figured it out.

SteamKing said:
The astronomy book gives me this problem as the first problem in the book.

gneill said:
I am understanding the problem better than I at first did

1. What is the distance between Helsinki and Seattle?

The distance between Helsinki, Finland and Seattle, Washington is approximately 7,180 miles (11,566 kilometers) when traveling by air.

2. How long does it take to travel from Helsinki to Seattle?

The average flight time from Helsinki to Seattle is about 12 hours and 45 minutes.

3. What is the best way to travel from Helsinki to Seattle?

The most efficient way to travel from Helsinki to Seattle is by air, as it is the quickest and most direct mode of transportation between the two cities.

4. Are there any direct flights from Helsinki to Seattle?

Yes, there are direct flights available from Helsinki to Seattle. However, there are also options for connecting flights with layovers in other cities.

5. What is the time difference between Helsinki and Seattle?

There is a 10 hour time difference between Helsinki and Seattle. Helsinki is 10 hours ahead of Seattle, so when it is 9am in Helsinki, it is 11pm the previous day in Seattle.