Find the distance traveled by the block

In summary, the problem involves a 5kg block on a smooth inclined plane at a 73.74 degree angle. The goal is to find the distance traveled by the block in 0.8 seconds. Using the equations for motion and taking into account gravity and the angle of inclination, the distance is calculated to be 3.008 meters.
DeanBH

Homework Statement

A smooth plane is inclined at 73.74 Degrees to the horizontal a block of mass 5kg is on the slope.

its 73.47 degrees inclined
5kg mass
g = 9.8

Find the distance traveled by the block in 0.8 Seconds

The Attempt at a Solution

i can't quite remember how i find this out.

mgsinX works down the plane
mgcosX works in the direction of graity

its smooth = no friction. i can't remember how i balance the equation to work out acceleration and things that i can put it into an equation of motion to find time

Physics news on Phys.org
DeanBH said:

Homework Statement

A smooth plane is inclined at 73.74 Degrees to the horizontal a block of mass 5kg is on the slope.

its 73.47 degrees inclined
5kg mass
g = 9.8

Find the distance traveled by the block in 0.8 Seconds

The Attempt at a Solution

i can't quite remember how i find this out.

mgsinX works down the plane
mgcosX works in the direction of graity

its smooth = no friction. i can't remember how i balance the equation to work out acceleration and things that i can put it into an equation of motion to find time

gSinX = A = 9.4

s = ut + 1/2AT^"

s = 0*0.8 + 1/2 * 9.4 * 0.8^2

= 3.008 metres..

right? =)

I don't see any errors, good work!

1. How do you calculate the distance traveled by a block?

To calculate the distance traveled by a block, you will need to know the initial position and final position of the block. Then, you can use the formula: distance = final position - initial position. Make sure to use the same units for both positions.

2. Does the angle of the incline affect the distance traveled by the block?

Yes, the angle of the incline can affect the distance traveled by the block. The steeper the incline, the greater the distance the block will travel. This is because a steeper incline will have a greater effect on the block's acceleration.

3. Can the weight of the block impact the distance traveled?

Yes, the weight of the block can impact the distance traveled. A heavier block will have a greater force acting on it, resulting in a greater acceleration and therefore a greater distance traveled. However, other factors such as friction and air resistance may also play a role.

4. What is the difference between distance traveled and displacement?

Distance traveled refers to the total length of the path taken by the block, while displacement refers to the straight line distance between the initial and final positions of the block. This means that displacement can be less than or equal to the distance traveled, but never greater.

5. How does the surface affect the distance traveled by the block?

The surface can affect the distance traveled by the block in a few ways. A rough surface may result in more friction, slowing down the block and therefore reducing the distance traveled. A smooth surface, on the other hand, may result in less friction and allow the block to travel a greater distance. Additionally, the surface may also affect the block's acceleration and overall motion.