1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the domain of the vector functions

1. Sep 16, 2005 #1
    Find the domain of the vector functions, r(t), listed below

a.) r(t) = <ln(6t), sqrt(t+14), 1/sqrt(16-t)>

i dont extactly know how to approach this, can someone give me a hint or two

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2005 #2
    The domain of a function [tex]f(x)[/tex] basically means the set of all [tex]x[/tex] for which the function yields valid results. In your case, I presume all vector components must be real numbers. What does that mean for the values that [tex]t[/tex] is allowed to have?

4. Sep 16, 2005 #3
    [tex] t \geq -14[/tex]
    [tex] t \leq 16[/tex]

right? so the domain should be from [-14,16]

5. Sep 16, 2005 #4
    You're on the right track, but what about the ln(6t) function?

6. Sep 16, 2005 #5
    t cannot equal to 0 for ln(6t). so should it be [-14,0) U (0, 16]

7. Sep 16, 2005 #6
    If ln(6t) is to yield a real number, t must be greater than 0. A negative value for t won't work! So one of the domains you posted is almost right - the one holding positive values. The reason that the interval isn't exactly correct is because t = 16 isn't allowed (take a look at the third term and see what happens when t=16). In other words: t is in (0,16) instead of (0,16].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?