1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the eigen value

1. Jun 10, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Screenshot2012-06-10at53609AM.png

3. The attempt at a solution

Do you see where it says 3.3(1-lambda)?

Then the next row has -9 in it? It should be -9 + 9lambda, right? I'm using the Sars method (I think that's what it's called), where you copy the first two columns then take the product of three different diagonals, then subtract them from 3 other diagonals, sorry for the vague language.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 10, 2012 #2
    Hi robert!

Only [itex]1-\lambda[/itex] was taken common of the two terms, and the rest was kept as it is. I dont see why you would have a [itex]+9\lambda[/itex] with it.

Let [itex](1-\lambda) = t[/itex] and keep the rest as it is. And take the t out common, what would you get??

4. Jun 10, 2012 #3
    i'm falling asleep, so I will have to deal with this 10 hours later.

5. Jun 10, 2012 #4
    Good idea!! :tongue:

6. Jun 10, 2012 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No. They have factored [itex]1- \lambda[/itex] from each term first, leaving [itex](2- \lambda)(2-\lambda)- 3(3)[/itex].

Not a very good method as it is applicable only to 3 by 3 determinants and not to larger determinants. Better to learn "expansion by rows" or "expansion by columns".

Here, it is particularly easy to expand on the last row. Then the determinant is [tex]0\left|\begin{array}{cc}3 & 0 \\ 2-\lambda & 0 \end{array}\right|- 0\left|\begin{array}{cc}2-\lambda & 0 \\ 3 & 0 \end{array}\right|+ (1- \lambda)\left|\begin{array}{cc}2-\lambda & 2 \\ 3 & 2- \lambda\end{array}\right|[/tex]
    which, since the first two terms are multiplied by 0, immediately gives [itex]((2-\lambda)^2- 9)(1- \lambda)[/itex].

7. Jun 10, 2012 #6
    ok, I understand now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook