1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the eigenvalues of this matrix

1. Oct 4, 2005 #1
    I'm experiencing difficulties trying to find the eigenvalues of the follow matrix. The hint is to use an elementary row operation to simplify [tex]C - \lambda I[/tex] but I can't think of a suitable one to use or figure out whether a single row operation will actually make the calculations simpler.

[tex]
    C = \left[ {\begin{array}{*{20}c}
    {0.98} & {0.01} \\
    {0.02} & {0.99} \\
    \end{array}} \right]
    [/tex]

[tex]
    \det \left( {C - \lambda I} \right) = 0 \Rightarrow \left| {\begin{array}{*{20}c}
    {0.98 - \lambda } & {0.01} \\
    {0.02} & {0.99 - \lambda } \\
    \end{array}} \right| = 0
    [/tex]

Out of desperation, and having seen it being done once(not sure if it is correct) I decided to then subtract the first column from the second column.

[tex]
    \left| {\begin{array}{*{20}c}
    {0.98 - \lambda } & { - 0.97 + \lambda } \\
    {0.02} & {0.97 - \lambda } \\
    \end{array}} \right| = 0
    [/tex]

[tex]
    \left| {\begin{array}{*{20}c}
    {1 - \lambda } & 0 \\
    {0.02} & {0.97 - \lambda } \\
    \end{array}} \right| = 0
    [/tex]

I'm not even sure if subtracting columns from each other was a valid step. I know that subtracting rows is but I'm not sure about columns. I'm just wondering if that step was correct because if it is then I can get the eigenvalues from it fairly easily.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2005 #2

TD

Homework Helper

You're doing great! You can even see the eigenvalues right now, l = 1 or l = 0.97 :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?