Calculating Electric Current in a Complex Electrical Network

In summary, electric current is the flow of electric charge through a conductor, measured in amperes (A), and responsible for powering electronic devices. It is measured using an ammeter connected in series with the circuit and is affected by voltage, resistance, and conductor type. AC current flows in both directions while DC only flows in one direction, with most household electronics using AC and batteries providing DC. To safely work with electric current, always turn off the power source, use insulated tools, wear protective gear, and seek professional help if unsure.
omni
given a electrical network (in the picture)
i asked to find all the current in each resistor.
so for the start i found the RT,i got RT=3.5-ohm (i did it with the Y-delta transform).
then i calculate IT and i got IT=2A.
all i know is R1=2A.
but my problem is how to find the others current.

thanks

Attachments

• dfdfd.JPG
    dfdfd.JPG
    12.9 KB · Views: 412
Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you write loop equations and solve for the loop currents?

well, i really tried to do it with the loop equations but i not get it.
i know the Kirchhoff's current law and the Kirchhoff's voltage law.
i also know that I1=I4+I2.
but how to work out the loop equations this i not get it yet.

thanks.

omni said:
well, i really tried to do it with the loop equations but i not get it.
i know the Kirchhoff's current law and the Kirchhoff's voltage law.
i also know that I1=I4+I2.
but how to work out the loop equations this i not get it yet.

thanks.

Why don't you show what you wrote for the loop equations so that we can see what happened?

I1=I4+I2.

+7-0.5*I1-3*I2-2.5*I3=0v

+7-3*I2-2*I4-5*I5=0V

+7-5*I5-5*I6-2.5*I3=0v

omni said:
I1=I4+I2.

+7-0.5*I1-3*I2-2.5*I3=0v

+7-3*I2-2*I4-5*I5=0V

+7-5*I5-5*I6-2.5*I3=0v

You've got loop problems :smile: From what I can tell from your equations the 7V source should only appear in ONE of the loops you've used (If the 7V supply is in a loop, then R1 which is in series with it must also appear in that loop); it should not appear in all the loops if the loop path does not pass through it. It is possible to choose three loops that would each include the 7V source, but you didn't do that.

Here's your circuit diagram again but with what I imagine you've set as the currents and loops.

attachment.php?attachmentid=41063&stc=1&d=1321806605.jpg

It is important to remember that after assigning current directions that you respect those directions when traversing your loop and adding up the voltage drops or rises. If the path passes through a resistor in the same direction as its current, then there is a voltage drop. If the current is opposite to the path direction then there is a voltage rise through that resistor.

Attachments

• Fig1.jpg
    Fig1.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 440
hey thanks for the help.
"You've got loop problems From what I can tell from your equations the 7V source should only appear in ONE of the loops " GERAT INFO.

is possible that you can show me the way to find for example I2 or any In. ?

and then i hope i will understand more good the way to the answer.

thanks.

omni said:
hey thanks for the help.
"You've got loop problems From what I can tell from your equations the 7V source should only appear in ONE of the loops " GERAT INFO.

is possible that you can show me the way to find for example I2 or any In. ?

and then i hope i will understand more good the way to the answer.

thanks.

I can't provide a direct solution for you (Forum rules), but I can get you started by showing you how to write one of the loop equations.

Let's take the loop I've labelled as (2) in the diagram. Starting at the node where R2 and R5 meet and walking clockwise around the loop I see:

1. R2 with its labelled current I2 flowing AGAINST my progress, so that's a voltage rise: I2*3
2. R4 with its current flowing in the same direction that I'm going, so that's a voltage drop: I4*2
3. R5 with its current flowing in the same direction I'm going, so that's a voltage drop: I5*5

Putting them together gives: I2*3 - I4*2 - I5*5 = 0

Do the same thing for all three loops. Next you'll have to write the KCL node equations so that you have the relationships between the currents (sum of currents flowing into a give node = sum of currents flowing out).

ok i did the 2 others loop equations, and this what i got:

for what you labelled as (1) i got:7v-(I1*0.5+I2*3+I3*2.5)=0
for what you labelled as (3) i got: I6*5-I5*5-I3*2.5=0

did i correct till here ?

omni said:
ok i did the 2 others loop equations, and this what i got:

for what you labelled as (1) i got:7v-(I1*0.5+I2*3+I3*2.5)=0
for what you labelled as (3) i got: I6*5-I5*5-I3*2.5=0

did i correct till here ?

Yes, they look good.

Now you'll need a few KCL equations at nodes in order to describe the particular branching relationships between the currents.

hi.
thank you very much.
i solve the problem :)

ok thank you. :)

omni said:
ok thank you. :)

You're very welcome :smile:

What is electric current?

Electric current is the flow of electric charge through a conductor, such as a wire. It is measured in amperes (A) and is responsible for powering electronic devices.

How is electric current measured?

Electric current is measured using a device called an ammeter. The ammeter is connected in series with the circuit and measures the flow of charge through the circuit.

What factors affect the flow of electric current?

The flow of electric current is affected by the voltage, resistance, and type of conductor in the circuit. Higher voltage and lower resistance result in a larger current flow, while thinner conductors can limit the amount of current that can pass through.

What is the difference between AC and DC current?

AC (alternating current) flows in both directions in a circuit, while DC (direct current) only flows in one direction. Most household electronics use AC current, while batteries provide DC current.

How can I safely work with electric current?

To safely work with electric current, always turn off the power source before handling any wires or components. Use insulated tools and wear protective gear to avoid electric shocks. If you are unsure, seek the help of a trained professional.