1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the electric field a distance z above a disc of radius R and surface charge

1. Oct 19, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The electric field, E a distance z above a circular loop of charge density lambda, radius r, in the x-y plane centred on the origin, is given by

E(z)=[lambda z r] i(subscript z)/[2 epsilon0((z^2 + r^2)^(3/2))]

a) using this, find the electric field, E, a distance z above a disc of radius R and surface charge density sigma (8 marks)
    b) describe the limits of E for the disc at R tends to infinity and z>>0 (4 marks)

3. The attempt at a solution

a) E(z)=[sigma z R] i(subscript z)/[2 epsilon0((z^2 + R^2)^(3/2))]

I don't think that's going to gain me the full 8 marks and I have no idea what to do next. Please help

b) I can't even make sense of it. How can z>>R if R tends to infinity?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2011 #2
    Re: find the electric field a distance z above a disc of radius R and surface charge.

a) A disk of charge could be considered to be made up a large number of concentric loops of charge. You'd need to sum (think - integrate) the effects of many infinitesimally thin loops to get the field of a disk. To me, looks like you've just replaced r -> R and charge per unit length with charge per unit area which is wrong.

b) Question says z>>0, not z>>R.

4. Oct 22, 2011 #3
    Re: find the electric field a distance z above a disc of radius R and surface charge.

but the question does say z>>R, I just checked

5. Oct 22, 2011 #4

I made a mistake the first time I typed the question

6. Oct 22, 2011 #5

never mind, I just found out that z>>R and z tends to infinity are two separate ques

7. Oct 30, 2011 #6

E=[pi sigma z/[2 epsilon0]] ((1/z) -1/(sqrt(R^2 +z^2)))

so as R tends to infinity

E=p[i sigma/[2 epsilon0]] z(1/z -0)
    =pi sigma/[2 epsilon0]??

Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
  8. Oct 31, 2011 #7

Looks plausible :) not going to thoroughly check it... you should try and convince yourself whether it is right or not. Does it seem sensible to you?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook