1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the electric field for a thin insulating rod when r L

1. Sep 19, 2009 #1
    Hello everyone,

On my physics homework, I was told to find an expression for the electric field on the x-axis when r >> L when the E = (2kƛ/L)*[rL/(r^2 - (L^2)/4) + ln((2r-L)/(2r+L))] in the i direction. Basically show that it's a dipole field and that it varies as 1/r^3.

As far as I know, we have ƛ(x) = ƛ_0 (2x/L). The charge density varies from -ƛ_0 to +ƛ_0 to 0 as x varies from -L/2 to +L/2. I'm also told that the point we're taking the electric field from is (r, 0) and in this case, r >> L.

I've tried solving it only to get (2kƛ_0)/r in the i-direction for the field, which isn't correct. This was through a lot of algebraic manipulation and rearranging. The rest of my homework is dependent on me finishing this question, so I'm rather nervous about it.

I'd be grateful for any help I can get on it, thanks!

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted