Solution:What is the Electric Field for Two Point Charges on a Line?

In summary, the conversation discussed finding the electric field and electric force between two point charges placed on a line, with one charge at q1=1.00uc and the other at q2=-1.00uc, and a distance of r=2m between them. The electric field at position P was found by adding the electric fields produced by each charge (Ep=Ep1+Ep2). The electric force on a charge q=-1.00uc placed at P was then calculated using the electric field found in the previous step. It was suggested to draw the electric field vectors produced by both charges to better understand the concept.
Wildcatfan

Homework Statement

Consider two point charges placed on a line:

q1=1.00uc_______<2m>_________P_______<2m>________q2=-1.00uc

q1=1.00uc
q2=-1.00uc
r=2m

a) Find the electric field E at the position P *hint: bring + at P. Ep=Ep1+Ep2
b) Using the above E, find the electric force on the charge q=-1.00uc placed at P.
c) Check your answer F of (b) by computing directly F.

Homework Equations

(kq1/r12^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted to solve and with the charge acting on q1, I got 2.25X10^3 N/C. For the charge acting on q2, I received the answer -2.25X10^3 N/C. I figure this isn't correct since I need to use something other than 0 when these are added to figure out part b. Thanks for your help in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
:) you are right this is not zero ..

hint : remember that the electric field is a vector , and remember that the electric field produced from a positive charge is not the same as the negatice charge, check this figure:

http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/3059/38165338.jpg

try to draw the electric field vector produced by both the positive and the negative charges , what will you get?

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the concept of electric field?

The electric field is a physical quantity that describes the strength and direction of the force that a charged particle experiences due to the presence of other charged particles in its surroundings.

2. How is the electric field calculated?

The electric field is calculated by dividing the force on a test charge by the magnitude of the test charge. Mathematically, it can be represented as E = F/q, where E is the electric field, F is the force, and q is the test charge.

3. What is the unit of electric field?

The unit of electric field is newton per coulomb (N/C) in the SI system of units. It can also be expressed in volts per meter (V/m) in the context of electrical potential.

4. How does the direction of the electric field relate to the direction of the force on a charged particle?

The direction of the electric field at a point is the same as the direction of the force that a positive test charge would experience if placed at that point. However, for a negative test charge, the direction of the electric field is opposite to the direction of the force.

5. What factors affect the strength of the electric field?

The strength of the electric field is affected by the magnitude of the charges present and the distance between them. It also depends on the medium in which the charges are located, as different materials have different permittivity values that can impact the strength of the electric field.