1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the Electric Field

1. Feb 19, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider two point charges placed on a line:

q1=1.00uc_______<2m>_________P_______<2m>________q2=-1.00uc

q1=1.00uc
    q2=-1.00uc
    r=2m

a) Find the electric field E at the position P *hint: bring + at P. Ep=Ep1+Ep2
    b) Using the above E, find the electric force on the charge q=-1.00uc placed at P.
    c) Check your answer F of (b) by computing directly F.

2. Relevant equations
    (kq1/r12^2)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I attempted to solve and with the charge acting on q1, I got 2.25X10^3 N/C. For the charge acting on q2, I received the answer -2.25X10^3 N/C. I figure this isn't correct since I need to use something other than 0 when these are added to figure out part b. Thanks for your help in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2010 #2
    :) you are right this is not zero ..

hint : remember that the electric field is a vector , and remember that the electric field produced from a positive charge is not the same as the negatice charge, check this figure:

http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/3059/38165338.jpg [Broken]

try to draw the electric field vector produced by both the positive and the negative charges , what will you get?

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook