Can I calculate the EMF for a moving conducting rod perpendicular to a wire carrying current?

• Thread starter noleknight16
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Emf
In summary, In Faraday's law of induction, EMF is negative when the current is going out of the wire.
noleknight16
A conducting rod moves with a constant velocity v in a direction perpendicular to a long, straight wire carrying a current I as shown in the figure below.

p31-58.gif

Find the EMF

It should equal U_o*V*L*I/2*pi*r, but how do I get there?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi and welcome to PF!
I'd use Faraday's law of induction.

Alright, how does this look:

E = -d/dt*(Flux B)

E = -d/dt * BLR

E = dr/dt * -BL

E = -BLV

E = -u_o*I*V*L / 2*pi*r

Why does the negative go away for the correct answer?

Also, did I skip any steps?

I'm not an expert, but just a student like you. What you did looks right to me. I'll wait someone more experienced to help us. I think that the negative sign shows that the emf opposes to the direction of the current I in the wire.

Well fluid, I appreciate you looking it over! I know for a fact this will be on my final tomorrow and I'm currently studying. This problem seems easy enough using Faraday's law but I hope they way I did it was correct. I wish I was just better at physics than I am. :cry:

noleknight16 said:
Well fluid, I appreciate you looking it over! I know for a fact this will be on my final tomorrow and I'm currently studying. This problem seems easy enough using Faraday's law but I hope they way I did it was correct. I wish I was just better at physics than I am. :cry:

I wish you the best of the luck for your exam. I'm taking the final exam on Friday :biggrin:.
I'd appreciate if someone could tell us if you did it properly and why is there this minus sign...
Let's wait.

Can any experts confirm my answer as correct?

When I was in my bed at 3:08 am, I realized that [tex]\frac{d \Phi _B}{dt}[/tex] was negative because the rod is going out from the wire. Hence [tex]-\frac{d \Phi _B}{dt}[/tex] must be positive as the result. I'd love someone to confirm me on this.

You are correct, fluid. By Lenz's Law, the current would be pointing down and thus negative due to the fact the conducting bar is moving away from the wire. If the opposite were the case, the final result would be positive.

As for my final, the teacher didn't put anything like this on it. :( sigh... hope I did alright enough to get a C+ or a B- for the class.

Thanks again for your help fluid, hope you do well on your final on friday!

noleknight16 said:
You are correct, fluid. By Lenz's Law, the current would be pointing down and thus negative due to the fact the conducting bar is moving away from the wire. If the opposite were the case, the final result would be positive.

As for my final, the teacher didn't put anything like this on it. :( sigh... hope I did alright enough to get a C+ or a B- for the class.

Thanks again for your help fluid, hope you do well on your final on friday!

Ok.
Thank you very much. This is a hard course indeed. Good luck with your result, hopefully you'll earn a better than expected grade.

1. What is EMF and why is it important?

EMF stands for electromagnetic field, which is a physical field produced by electrically charged objects. It is important because it is present in our daily lives and can affect our health and the environment.

2. How can I measure the EMF in my surroundings?

You can measure the EMF by using an EMF meter, which detects and measures the strength of the electromagnetic field.

3. What are the potential health risks associated with high levels of EMF?

Exposure to high levels of EMF has been linked to various health risks such as headaches, fatigue, insomnia, and even certain types of cancer. However, more research is needed to fully understand the effects of EMF on human health.

4. Are there any safety guidelines for EMF exposure?

Yes, there are safety guidelines set by organizations such as the World Health Organization and the International Commission on Non-Ionizing Radiation Protection. These guidelines recommend limiting exposure to EMF levels below a certain threshold to reduce potential health risks.

5. Can I reduce my exposure to EMF?

Yes, there are several ways to reduce your exposure to EMF. You can limit your use of electronic devices, keep a safe distance from high EMF sources, and use protective measures such as shielding materials. It is also important to follow safety guidelines and use EMF meters to monitor levels in your surroundings.