Find the enclosed charge

Homework Statement

I'm to find the enclosed charge of the closed surface in the image (not sure how to describe the shape).

The Attempt at a Solution

Let [itex]a=4cm[/itex] and [itex]b=5cm[/itex]. The total flux in is then [itex]abE_1[/itex] and flux out is [itex]abE_2[/itex]. Applying Gauss' law then gives the total enclosed charge as [itex]Q=ab\epsilon_0(E_2-E_1)[/itex].

The step I'm a little unsure about is taking the total flux out to be [itex]E_2[/itex] times the area [itex]ab[/itex], since the electric field [itex]E_2[/itex] is through a slanted surface, not perpendicular. On the other hand, the total flux through that slope would have eventually to pass through an area of [itex]ab[/itex]...

Attachments

Answers and Replies

gneill
Mentor

Homework Statement

I'm to find the enclosed charge of the closed surface in the image (not sure how to describe the shape).

The Attempt at a Solution

Let [itex]a=4cm[/itex] and [itex]b=5cm[/itex]. The total flux in is then [itex]abE_1[/itex] and flux out is [itex]abE_2[/itex]. Applying Gauss' law then gives the total enclosed charge as [itex]Q=ab\epsilon_0(E_2-E_1)[/itex].

The step I'm a little unsure about is taking the total flux out to be [itex]E_2[/itex] times the area [itex]ab[/itex], since the electric field [itex]E_2[/itex] is through a slanted surface, not perpendicular. On the other hand, the total flux through that slope would have eventually to pass through an area of [itex]ab[/itex]...
The area [itex]ab[/itex] is correct. You want to sum the component of the flux which is normal to the surface it passes through. If you do the geometry you'll find that for a flat surface at an angle to the flux, this amounts to the cross sectional area which is perpendicular to the field vectors.