What is the energy of this harmonic oscillator state?

In summary, the energy of the harmonic oscillator in this state is 18 eV, calculated using the equation E_n = (n^2) * E_1 where n is the state number and E_1 is the ground state energy of 2 eV. However, there may be some discrepancy with the sketch provided as it appears to show the 9th state rather than the 5th state.
szamito
[SOLVED] Find the energy of oscillator

Homework Statement

The Probability density for the states of a harmonic oscillator is shown in the figure. Find the energy of the oscillator in this state if the ground state energy is 2 [eV].

Homework Equations

E_n=(n^2)*E_1

The Attempt at a Solution

n=5 then E_5=5^2*2 eV=50 eV

Attachments

• pic1.png
    pic1.png
    5.9 KB · Views: 457
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This looks wrong to me. The spacing of the energy levels of the harmonic oscillator doesn't go as n-squared, rather it goes as n. I think. Also, the sketch as shown appears to me to be the 9th level, not the 5th. (Try drawing out the first three or four levels to see how it goes.) So I would put this state at 18 eV.

1. What is an oscillator?

An oscillator is a physical system that exhibits periodic motion, meaning it repeats its motion over time. Examples of oscillators include a pendulum, a mass on a spring, and a tuning fork.

2. How is the energy of an oscillator defined?

The energy of an oscillator is defined as the sum of its kinetic energy and potential energy. In simple harmonic motion, the energy is constantly switching back and forth between these two forms.

3. What is the formula for calculating the energy of an oscillator?

The formula for calculating the energy of an oscillator is E = (1/2)kx^2, where E is the energy, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement from equilibrium.

4. Why is it important to find the energy of an oscillator?

Finding the energy of an oscillator allows us to understand the behavior and characteristics of the system. This can be useful in engineering applications and in studying physical phenomena.

5. How does the energy of an oscillator change with amplitude?

The energy of an oscillator is directly proportional to the square of its amplitude. This means that as the amplitude increases, the energy of the oscillator also increases. However, in a damping system, the energy of the oscillator decreases over time due to energy loss to friction.