1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the enthalpy for H3O

1. Dec 7, 2005 #1
    I need to find the enthalpy for H3O. I can't find it in my table in my book, and I'm not having much luck finding it online. Is there one for this molecule? :confused:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2005 #2

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What do you mean by enthalpy? Do you mean the standard enthalpy of formation?

Remember that we can only measure the change in enthalpy of a system.

4. Dec 7, 2005 #3
    I do mean the standard enthalpy of formation..
    The reaction is NH4+ in water to form NH3 + H3O+

I can find NH4 and NH3, but not H3O

5. Dec 7, 2005 #4

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This is a "trick" question: the "trick" being that your text source has to inform you that ΔHf(H3O+) is "Zero" by convention, your instructor has to point this out, and you have to notice the special case.

6. Dec 7, 2005 #5
    I'm really confused then. I'm supposed to show how there is a positive ΔH and a negative ΔH for the dissolution of ammonium nitrate. I did:

NH4NO3 --> NH4+ + NO3-
    This is a ΔH of 28.1 kJ

I thought maybe the negative ΔH was the Qh2o of the surrounding, but he said no, that the water does participate in the reaction. So I tried protonation..

NH4+ + H2O --> NH3 + H3O+
    The ΔH is 372.2

I'm not understanding how to show a negative ΔH here...

7. Dec 7, 2005 #6

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This statement makes absolutely NO sense: please give us an exact copy of the problem statement.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?