Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the equation of the circle

1. Jun 28, 2004 #1
    A circle touches the line 2x + 3y +1 = 0 at the pt. (1,-1) and is orthogonal
    to the circle whose one pair of diametrically opposite end pts. are (3,0) and
    (1,-3).Find the equation of the circle.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 28, 2004 #2

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You know the diameter of the second circle is [itex]\sqrt{(3-1)^2 + [0 - (-3)]^2} = \sqrt{13}[/itex]. Therefore, the radius, [itex]r = \sqrt{13}/2[/itex], and [itex]r^2 = 13/4[/itex]

Now the second circle can be represented by the equation:

[tex](x-a)^2 + (y-b)^2 = r^2[/tex]

[tex](x - a)^2 + (y - b)^2 = 13/4[/tex]

You can make two equations with two unknowns, and solve for a and b:

[tex](1):\ \ (3-a)^2 + b^2 = 13/4[/tex]

[tex](2):\ \ (1-a)^2 + (3+b)^2 = 13/4[/tex]

[tex]a = 2,\ b = -1.5[/tex]

This should help you get started.

Attached Files:

4. Jun 28, 2004 #3

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Now, let (m,n) be the center of the circle we are solving for. We know:

[tex](1-m)^2 + (1+n)^2 = R^2[/tex]

where R is the radius of the circle we're solving for. We also know that there must be points on the other circle, [itex](x_1,y_1)[/itex] and [itex](x_2,y_2)[/tex] such that:

[tex](x_1 - 2,y_1 + 1.5) \cdot (x_1 - m, y_1 - n) = 0[/tex]

[tex](x_2 - 2,y_2 + 1.5) \cdot (x_2 - m, y_2 - n) = 0[/tex]

We also have:

[tex](x_1 - 2)^2 + (y_1 + 1.5)^2 = 13/4[/tex]

[tex](x_2 - 2)^2 + (y_2 + 1.5)^2 = 13/4[/tex]

and:

[tex]\frac{1-m}{-1-n} = 3/2[/tex]

and:

[tex](x_1-m)^2 + (y_1-n)^2 = R^2[/tex]

[tex](x_2-m)^2 + (y_2-n)^2 = R^2[/tex]

8 equations, 7 unknowns. Looks ugly, but possible.

5. Jun 29, 2004 #4

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Okay, perhaps someone can explain to me why this approach didn't work.

I started out with the three pieces of information that we have to begin with:

1) The equation of the circle is [tex](x - a)^2 + (y - b)^2 = 13/4[/tex]

2) The equation of the tangent line is [tex]2x + 3x + 1 = 0[/tex]

3) The line is tangent to the circle at the point [tex](1,-1)[/tex]

In other words, [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex] at [tex](1,-1)[/tex] is [tex]-2/3[/tex]

So I differentiated the equation of the circle to obtain the equation for [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{d}{dx}(x - a)^2 + \frac{d}{dx}(y - b)^2 = \frac{d}{dx}13/4[/tex]

If [tex]u = x - a[/tex] and [tex]v = y - b[/tex],

then [tex]u\prime = 1[/tex] and [tex]v\prime = 1[/tex]

I rewrote the equation as

[tex]\frac{d}{dx}u^2 + \frac{d}{dx}v^2 = \frac{d}{dx}13/4[/tex]

[tex]2uu\prime + 2vv\prime = 0[/tex]

[tex]2(x - a) + 2(y - b)\frac{dy}{dx} = 0[/tex]

Solving for [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex], I got

[tex]2(y - b)\frac{dy}{dx} = -2(x - a)[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{-2(x - a)}{2(y - b)} = -\frac{(x - a)}{(y - b)}[/tex]

I then substituted in the known values for [tex](x,y)[/tex] and [tex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/tex],

[tex](1,-1)[/tex] and [tex]-2/3[/tex]

[tex]-2/3 = -\frac{(1 - a)}{(1 - b)}[/tex]

The negatives cancel and we get

[tex]1 - a = 2[/tex] and [tex]-1 - b = 3[/tex]

[tex]a = -1[/tex] and [tex]b = -4[/tex]

Substituting these values back into the equation of the circle, we get

[tex](x + 1)^2 + (y + 4)^2 = 13/4[/tex]

Now this equation is not correct, as it never touches the point [itex](1,-1)[/itex]. I'm sure I'm overlooking something very simple, but it's 1:30 AM here and I'm really tired. Can someone help me out?

Last edited: Jun 29, 2004
  6. Jun 29, 2004 #5
    Yes, you are overlooking something very simple: the circle we're asked to find doesn't (necessarily) have a radius of sqrt(13/4).

The circle with "diametrically opposite end pts. (3,0) and (1,-3)" has a radius of sqrt(13/4). Its equation is easy to find, since you know two points on it. AKG did it in his first post. This circle is not a tangent to 2x + 3y + 1 = 0.

What we're looking for is a totally different circle (that IS a tangent to 2x + 3y + 1 = 0). The only connection this new circle has with the old circle, is that they are orthogonal to each other.

*edit* That's not to say that you can't find a circle with a radius of sqrt(13/4) that is tangent to 2x + 3y + 1 = 0 at (1, -1). Let the circle's equation be (x - a)^2 + (y - b)^2 = 13/4. Work out its intersection with the tangent line. The discriminant must be zero. You now have an equation relating a and b. But since you also know that (1, -1) must lie on the circle, you have another equation with a and b. Two equations, two variables, should be solvable. In fact, if you slog through the calculations (or enlist a computer to do it for you ;)), you'll find that the equation is x^2 + (y + 5/2)^2 = 13/4 or (x - 2)^2 + (y - 1/2)^2 = 13/4.

You can apply the same technique (letting the circle's equation be (x - a)^2 + (y - b)^2 = r^2, though) to solve the original problem, only you have to apply the condition given on Mathworld... Very un-pretty though.

And now I see the mistake you did. If you have this equation:

[tex]-2/3 = -\frac{(1 - a)}{(1 - b)}[/tex]

1 - a is not necessarily equal to 2, and 1 - b is not necessarily equal to 3. Since [tex]\frac{2}{3} = \frac{4}{6}[/tex], is 2 = 4 and 3 = 6?

Last edited: Jun 29, 2004
  7. Jun 29, 2004 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

A lot of the calculations you did are not necessary: The circle such that (3, 0) and (1, -3) has radius [itex]\frac{\sqrt{13}}{2}[/itex] AND center at ((3+1)/2,(0-3)/2)=
    (2, -3/2) so THAT circle is (x-2)2+ (y+ 3/2)2= 13/4.

The circle you want to find must be of the form (x-a)2+ (y-b)2= R2 (any circle is of that form). If it "touches" (is tangent to) the line
    2x+ 3y+ 1= 0 then it must be tangent at (x,y) such that 2x+ 3y+ 1= 0 and
    x2+ y2= R2. That's two equations for 3 unknowns.

In order to be perpendicular to the circle (x-2)2+ (y+ 3/2)2= 13/4, The must be two points (x,y) satisfying the equations of both circles and such that the derivatives y'= (y- 3/2)/(x- 2)= (y-b)/x-a). You need to solve all those equations for a and b.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?