Find the equation of the curve

• MHB
  • Thread starter karush
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Curve
In summary: Based on the given information, it seems that the correct answer should be A) 2xe^{3x-3} as it is the only one that satisfies the given slope and point. The other options either do not have a slope of $\displaystyle\left( 3+\frac{1}{x}\right)$ or do not pass through the given point. Please double check and let me know if there is any additional information that may have been left out.
karush
Gold Member
MHB
Find the equation of the curve that passes through the point\(\displaystyle (1,2)\)
and has a slope of $\displaystyle\left( 3+\frac{1}{x}\right)$
at any point \(\displaystyle (x,y)\) on the curve.

$(A) 2xe^{3x-3}$
$(B) 2xe^{3x+3}$
$(C) 2xe^3$
$(D) 2e^{3x-3}$

\(\displaystyle A(1)=2\) and \(\displaystyle D(1)=2 \)
so \(\displaystyle B\) and \(\displaystyle C\) are out.

the answer is\(\displaystyle (A)\) but I took \(\displaystyle A'\) and \(\displaystyle D' \)but couldn't equate that to
$\displaystyle\left( 3+\frac{1}{x}\right)$

Physics news on Phys.org
karush said:
Find the equation of the curve that passes through the point\(\displaystyle (1,2)\)
and has a slope of $\displaystyle\left( 3+\frac{1}{x}\right)$
at any point \(\displaystyle (x,y)\) on the curve.

$(A) 2xe^{3x-3}$
$(B) 2xe^{3x+3}$
$(C) 2xe^3$
$(D) 2e^{3x-3}$

\(\displaystyle A(1)=2\) and \(\displaystyle D(1)=2 \)
so \(\displaystyle B\) and \(\displaystyle C\) are out.

the answer is\(\displaystyle (A)\) but I took \(\displaystyle A'\) and \(\displaystyle D' \)but couldn't equate that to
$\displaystyle\left( 3+\frac{1}{x}\right)$

edit: What Mark said below, go look at his post if you don't want confused ramblings (Giggle)

I get \(\displaystyle y = 3x + \ln|x| -1\) by integrating the slope and using the given point. Not sure where they're getting the exponential values from.

\(\displaystyle \frac{d}{dx} 2xe^{3x-3} = 2e^{3x-3} + 6x(x-1)e^{3x-3} = 2e^{3x-3}(1+3x(x-1))\) which does give 2 when I plug in 1

This is an IVP, where:

\(\displaystyle \frac{dy}{dx}=3+\frac{1}{x}\) and \(\displaystyle y(1)=2\)

Integrating the ODE, we obtain:

\(\displaystyle y(x)=3x+\ln|x|+C\)

Using the initial value, we may find $C$:

\(\displaystyle y(1)=3+C=2\,\therefore\,C=-1\)

And so the solution is:

\(\displaystyle y(x)=3x+\ln|x|-1\)

It appears to me that answer A) is the solution to:

\(\displaystyle y'=y\left(3+\frac{1}{x} \right)\)

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/2279

not sure why they (AP calc exam) chose those curves?

thanks much for help..

Are you sure you copied the problem correctly and in its entirety here?

1. What is the general process for finding the equation of a curve?

The general process for finding the equation of a curve involves first identifying the type of curve (such as a line, parabola, or circle) and then using known points on the curve or other information to determine the equation. This often involves solving for the unknown coefficients or variables in the equation.

2. How do I find the equation of a curve if I only know a few points on the curve?

If you only know a few points on the curve, you can use the slope-intercept form of a line (y = mx + b) or the general form of a parabola (y = ax^2 + bx + c) to solve for the unknown coefficients. Plug in the known points and solve the resulting equations to find the equation of the curve.

3. Can I find the equation of a curve if I don't know any points on the curve?

Yes, you can still find the equation of a curve even if you don't know any points on the curve. This often involves using additional information, such as the slope of the curve at a certain point or the curvature of the curve at a certain point. These pieces of information can help you determine the equation of the curve using methods such as calculus.

4. Do all curves have equations?

Not all curves have equations. Some curves, such as fractals, do not have a single equation that can describe them. However, most commonly encountered curves, such as lines, circles, and parabolas, do have equations that can be used to describe them.

5. Can I find the equation of a curve using a graphing calculator?

Yes, many graphing calculators have built-in functions that can help you find the equation of a curve. These functions often involve inputting known points on the curve or other information, and the calculator will then generate the equation for you. However, it is important to understand the underlying mathematical concepts and processes involved in finding the equation of a curve, rather than relying solely on a calculator.