Find the equation of the polar

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathmari
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Polar
In summary, we have a circle with center $C = (x_0, y_0)$ and radius $r$. For each point $P = (p_1, p_2)$ outside the circle, we can find the equation of the line $g_P$ that passes through the intersection points of the tangent from $P$ at the circle and the circle. To find this equation, we first find the intersection points $A = (a_1, a_2)$ and $B = (b_1, b_2)$, which are on the circle. Then, we use the points $A$ and $B$ to find the slope of $g_P$ and its equation in the form $y
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

Let $K$ be a circle with center $C=(x_0,y_0)$ and radius $r$. For each point $P=(p_1, p_2)$ outside the circle let $g_P$ be the line that passes through the intersection points of the tangent from $P$ at the circle and the circle.

I want to find the equation of the line $g_p$ (polar).

I have done the following:

Let $A=(a_1, a_2)$ and $B=(b_1, b_2)$ be the two intersection points.

Since $g_p$ passes through these two points the line has the equation of the form:
$$g_P : y=\frac{b_2-a_2}{b_1-a_1}(x-a_1)+a_2$$

The points $A,B$ are on the circle, so we have the following two relations:
$$(a_1-x_0)^2+(a_2-y_0)^2=r^2 \\ (b_1-x_0)^2+(b_2-y_0)^2=r^2$$

We also have that the triangle MBP and AMP are both right triangles so we could use the Pythagorian Theorem, or not? (Wondering)

Or do we have to find the equation of the tangent? (Wondering)

Physics news on Phys.org
mathmari said:
Let $K$ be a circle with center $C=(x_0,y_0)$ and radius $r$. For each point $P=(p_1, p_2)$ outside the circle let $g_P$ be the line that passes through the intersection points of the tangent from $P$ at the circle and the circle.

I'm not visualizing this part ... not sure what you mean by "at the circle and the circle"

skeeter said:
I'm not visualizing this part ... not sure what you mean by "at the circle and the circle"

When we have a point outside the circle and take the tangent to the circle from that point, there are two tangents, so there are two contct points, one (A) between the one tangent and the circle and the other (B) between the other tangent and the circle, right? (Wondering)
I want to find the equation of the line that passes through $A$ and $B$.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the following idea:

The equation that we are looking for is \begin{equation*}y-a_2=\frac{b_2-a_2}{b_1-a_1}(x-a_1) \Rightarrow y=\frac{b_2-a_2}{b_1-a_1}(x-a_1)+a_2\end{equation*}
Since from $A$ and $B$ the tangent passes through we have that \begin{equation*}(x-x_0)(a_1-x_0)+(y-y_0)(a_2-y_0)=r^2 \ \text{ und } \ (x-x_0)(b_1-x_0)+(y-y_0)(b_2-y_0)=r^2\end{equation*}

Since $P$ is on that tangent we have that
\begin{equation*}(p_1-x_0)(a_1-x_0)+(p_2-y_0)(a_2-y_0)=r^2 \ \text{ und } \ (p_1-x_0)(b_1-x_0)+(p_2-y_0)(b_2-y_0)=r^2\end{equation*}

Is everything correct so far? Can we continue from here? Or is that way wrong? (Wondering)

This doesn't solve the whole problem, but may be of some help.

since A and B are points on the circle ...

Let $A = (x_A,y_A) = (r_0 \cos{\alpha}, r_0 \sin{\alpha})$ and $B = (x_B,y_B) = (r_0 \cos{\beta}, r_0 \sin{\beta})$, where $r_0$ is the fixed radius of the circle in question and the angles $\alpha$ and $\beta$ are the measure of the rays in standard position that pass thru A and B respectively.

The slope between the two points is $m = \dfrac{\sin{\alpha}-\sin{\beta}}{\cos{\alpha}-\cos{\beta}}$equation of the line through points A and B ...

$y - y_A = m(x-x_A)$

note $x = r\cos{\theta}$ and $y = r\sin{\theta}$

$r\sin{\theta} - r_0 \sin{\alpha} = m(r\cos{\theta} - r_0 \cos{\alpha})$

solving for $r$ as a function of $\theta$ ...

$r = \dfrac{r_0(\sin{\alpha}-m\cos{\alpha})}{\sin{\theta} - m\cos{\theta}}$

I tested the polar function with $r_0=3$, $\alpha=\dfrac{\pi}{3}$, and $\beta=\dfrac{\pi}{6}$

attached polar graphs show that it works ...

mathmari said:
Hey! :eek:

I want to find the equation of the line $g_p$ (polar).

I have done the following:

Let $A=(a_1, a_2)$ and $B=(b_1, b_2)$ be the two intersection points.

Since $g_p$ passes through these two points the line has the equation of the form:
$$g_P : y=\frac{b_2-a_2}{b_1-a_1}(x-a_1)+a_2$$

The points $A,B$ are on the circle, so we have the following two relations:
$$(a_1-x_0)^2+(a_2-y_0)^2=r^2 \\ (b_1-x_0)^2+(b_2-y_0)^2=r^2$$

We also have that the triangle MBP and AMP are both right triangles so we could use the Pythagorian Theorem, or not? (Wondering)

Or do we have to find the equation of the tangent? (Wondering)

The line CP has gradient $\dfrac{p_2-y_0}{p_1-x_0}$. The line $AB$ is perpendicular to this, so it has gradient $-\dfrac{p_1-x_0}{p_2-y_0}$, and its equation is therefore $(p_1-x_0)x + (p_2-y_0)y = c$ for some constant $c$.

I don't see a slick way to find $c$. It would be good to avoid having to find the coordinates of $A$ and $B$, or to find the equations of the tangents. My guess is that the best route might be to use the fact that the line $AB$ must pass through the midpoint of $AB$. That is a point on the line $CP$, at a distance $\dfrac{r^2}d$ from $C$, where $d = \sqrt{(p_1-x_0)^2 + (p_2-y_0)^2}$ is the distance from $C$ to $P$.

But even that method seems to involve a rather messy computation.

Opalg said:
But even that method seems to involve a rather messy computation.

Ah ok. Which way do you suggest? Maybe using vectors? (Wondering)

- - - Updated - - -

skeeter said:
This doesn't solve the whole problem, but may be of some help.

since A and B are points on the circle ...

Let $A = (x_A,y_A) = (r_0 \cos{\alpha}, r_0 \sin{\alpha})$ and $B = (x_B,y_B) = (r_0 \cos{\beta}, r_0 \sin{\beta})$, where $r_0$ is the fixed radius of the circle in question and the angles $\alpha$ and $\beta$ are the measure of the rays in standard position that pass thru A and B respectively.

The slope between the two points is $m = \dfrac{\sin{\alpha}-\sin{\beta}}{\cos{\alpha}-\cos{\beta}}$equation of the line through points A and B ...

$y - y_A = m(x-x_A)$

note $x = r\cos{\theta}$ and $y = r\sin{\theta}$

$r\sin{\theta} - r_0 \sin{\alpha} = m(r\cos{\theta} - r_0 \cos{\alpha})$

solving for $r$ as a function of $\theta$ ...

$r = \dfrac{r_0(\sin{\alpha}-m\cos{\alpha})}{\sin{\theta} - m\cos{\theta}}$

I tested the polar function with $r_0=3$, $\alpha=\dfrac{\pi}{3}$, and $\beta=\dfrac{\pi}{6}$

attached polar graphs show that it works ...
Isn't the picture in the following form:

View attachment 6974

Attachments

• g.JPG
    g.JPG
    14.6 KB · Views: 53
With vectors:
\begin{tikzpicture}[>=stealth]
\coordinate (C) at (0,0) {};
\coordinate (A) at (3,4) {};
\coordinate (B) at (3,-4) {};
\coordinate (P) at (3+16/3,0);
\coordinate (G) at (3,2);
\draw (C) circle (5);
\draw (A) +(0,1) node[above] {$g$} -- (B) -- +(0,-1);
\draw[->, blue, ultra thick] (C) -- (P);
\draw[->, blue, ultra thick] (C) -- (A);
\draw[<->, blue, ultra thick, dashed] (C)+(-4/10,3/10) -- node[above left] {$\frac{\vec{CP}\cdot \vec{CA}}{CA}$} (3-4/10,4+3/10);
\draw[->, blue, ultra thick] (C) -- (B);
\draw[->, red, ultra thick] (C) -- (G) node
{$G$};
\draw[<->, blue, ultra thick, dashed] (C) +(0,-0.25) -- node[below] {$\frac{\vec{CA}\cdot \vec{CP}}{CP}$} (3,-0.25);
\draw[blue] (A) +(-4/5,3/5) -- (P) -- +(4/5,-3/5);
\draw[blue] (B) +(-4/5,-3/5) -- (P) -- +(4/5,3/5);
\fill (P) circle (0.05) node
{$P$};
\fill (A) circle (0.05) node
{$A$};
\fill (B) circle (0.05) node
{$B$};
\fill (C) circle (0.1) node
{$C$};
\end{tikzpicture}

Any point G on the line g has the same scalar projection:
$$\frac{\vec{CG}\cdot \vec{CP}}{CP} = \frac{\vec{CA}\cdot \vec{CP}}{CP} \tag 1$$
And the length of CA is (by scalar projection):
$$CA = \frac{\vec{CP}\cdot \vec{CA}}{CA} = r \tag 2$$
Combining (1) and (2) gives:
$$\vec{CG}\cdot \vec{CP} = r^2 \quad\Rightarrow\quad (x-x_0)(p_1-x_0) + (y-y_0)(p_2-y_0) = r^2$$
which is the equation of the line $g$.​

I understand! (Happy) At the second question we have to show the following:

Three points A, B and C outside K are collinear iff the lines $g_A$, $g_B$ and $g_C$ have a common point or are pairwise parallel. Let $A=(a_1, a_2)$, $B=(b_1, b_2)$ and $C=(c_1, c_2)$. These points are collinear iff the determinant:

$$\begin{vmatrix}a_1 & a_2 & 1 \\ b_1 & b_2 & 1 \\ c_1 & c_2 & 1\end{vmatrix}$$ is equal to $0$. Then I showed that according to http://mathhelpboards.com/linear-abstract-algebra-14/conditions-so-determinant-zero-21898.html#post98889 that
\begin{equation*}\begin{vmatrix}a_1-x_0 & a_2-y_0 & -x_0(a_1-x_0)-y_0(a_2-y_0) \\ b_1-x_0 & b_2-y_0 & -x_0(b_1-x_0)-y_0(b_2-y_0) \\ c_1-x_0 & c_2-y_0 & -x_0(c_1-x_0)-y_0(c_2-y_0)\end{vmatrix} = 0\end{equation*}
How are the points $A$, $B$ and $C$ placed when the lines $g_A$, $g_B$ and $g_C$ are pairwise parallel? (Wondering)

Should it be as follows?

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/6975._xfImport

Attachments

• po.JPG
    po.JPG
    28.7 KB · Views: 46
Last edited by a moderator:

What is the equation of a polar curve?

The equation of a polar curve is given by r = f(θ), where r represents the distance from the origin to a point on the curve and θ represents the angle between the positive x-axis and the line segment connecting the origin to the point.

How do I find the equation of a polar curve?

To find the equation of a polar curve, you can use the coordinates of a few points on the curve to create a table of values. Then, use these values to plot the points on a polar coordinate plane and connect them to create the curve. Finally, express the curve in terms of r and θ to find the equation.

What is the difference between polar and Cartesian coordinates?

Polar coordinates use distance and angle to locate points on a plane, while Cartesian coordinates use x and y coordinates. In polar coordinates, the origin is represented by the pole and the horizontal axis is the polar axis. The angle θ is measured counterclockwise from the polar axis.

How do I convert a polar equation to Cartesian form?

To convert a polar equation to Cartesian form, you can use the following formulas: x = r cos(θ) and y = r sin(θ). Substitute these values into the polar equation to get an equation in terms of x and y.

Can polar equations represent all types of curves?

Yes, polar equations can represent various types of curves, including circles, ellipses, cardioids, and limaçons. However, some curves may be more difficult to express in polar form compared to Cartesian form.