Find the equation of the tangent line of the curve

In summary: Sorry to be a bother. I'm really trying my best to understand.Sure, no problem. The chain rule I gave is the one relevant to the problem you're having. In your notation, it would look like this.##\frac d{dx}(y^2) = \frac d {dx}(y^2) \cdot \frac{dy}{dx} = 2y \cdot \frac{dy}{dx}##The first equality is just the chain rule in Leibniz notation. The second equality is just an application of the product rule to ##\frac d{dx}(y^2) = y \cdot y = y \
Schaus

Homework Statement

Find the equation of the tangent line to the curve ##\ xy^2 + \frac 2 y = 4## at the point (2,1).
Answer says ##\ y-1 = -\frac 1 2(x-2)##
And with implicit differentiation I should have gotten ##\frac {dy} {dx}= -\frac {y^2} {2xy-\frac {2} {y^2}}##

Homework Equations

##\ y-y_1 = m(x-x_1)##

The Attempt at a Solution

##\ y-1 = m(x-2)##

##\frac d {dx}(xy^2+\frac 2 y) =\frac d {dx}(4)##

##\frac d {dx}(xy^2)+\frac d {dx}(\frac 2 y) = 0##

##2xy+x⋅\frac {dy} {dx}-\frac {2} {y^2}⋅ \frac {dy} {dx} = 0##

##x⋅\frac {dy} {dx}-\frac {2} {y^2}⋅ \frac {dy} {dx} = 2xy##

##\frac {dy} {dx}(x-\frac {2} {y^2})= 2xy##

##\frac {dy} {dx}= -\frac {2xy} {x-\frac {2} {y^2}}##
Subbing in my x and y values gives me a slope of 4.
If anyone can help show me what I did wrong, I would really appreciate it. Also this is the first time using LaTeX Primer so bare with me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Schaus said:
##2xy+x⋅\frac {dy} {dx}-\frac {2} {y^2}⋅ \frac {dy} {dx} = 0##
Check this. It looks wrong to me.

Likes Schaus
##2xy+x⋅\frac {dy} {dx}-\frac {2} {y^2}⋅ \frac {dy} {dx} = 0## is this supposed to be
##x +2xy⋅\frac {dy} {dx}-\frac {2} {y^2}⋅ \frac {dy} {dx} = 0##?

Methodically applying the product rule to d/dx (x⋅y2) gives
d/dx (x⋅y2) = (d/dx x)⋅y2 + x⋅(d/dx y2) = 1⋅y2 + x⋅2⋅y⋅dy/dx = y2 + 2xy⋅dy/dx
I don't see this in your calculations.

Likes Schaus
So ##\frac d {dx}(xy^2)+\frac d {dx}(\frac 2 y) = 0## should turn into
##x\frac {d} {dx} (y^2)+ x⋅\frac d {dx} y^2- \frac 2 {y^2}(\frac {dy} {dx}) = 0## because I don't see the derivative of ##\frac 2 y##?

Last edited:
Schaus said:
So ##\frac d {dx}(xy^2)+\frac d {dx}(\frac 2 y) = 0## should turn into
##x\frac {d} {dx} (y^2)+ x⋅\frac d {dx} y^2- \frac 2 {y^2}(\frac {dy} {dx}) = 0## because I don't see the derivative of ##\frac 2 y##?
This part -- ##x\frac {d} {dx} (y^2)+ x⋅\frac d {dx} y^2## -- is wrong. You are not applying the product rule correctly. You have written the same thing twice.

Likes Schaus
Ohhhh, I should have done this?
##\frac {d} {dx} (1⋅y^2)+\frac {dy} {dx}2y⋅x -\frac {dy} {dx} \frac 2 y^2= 0##
then I would get ##-\frac {y^2} {2xy-\frac 2 {y^2}}## ?

Schaus said:
##\frac {d} {dx} (1⋅y^2)+\frac {dy} {dx}2y⋅x -\frac {dy} {dx} \frac 2 {y^2}= 0## Mod note: Edited the fraction in the last term on the left side.
No, that's not it either. Here's how the product rule works.
##\frac {d} {dx} (f(x) g(x)) = \frac {d} {dx}(f(x)) \cdot g(x) + f(x) \cdot \frac {d} {dx}(g(x)) = f'(x)g(x) + f(x)g'(x)##
Let's start from the beginning.
##\frac {d} {dx} (xy^2) = (\frac {d} {dx} x) \cdot y^2 + x \frac {d} {dx}(y^2)##
Can you continue? You'll need to use the chain rule to evaluate the derivative on the right.

Schaus said:
##\frac {d} {dx} (1⋅y^2)+\frac {dy} {dx}2y⋅x -\frac {dy} {dx} \frac 2 y^2= 0##
No, that is even worse.

Go back to the beginning, and use the product rule carefully, doing it one step at a time. Check your work as you go along.

##\frac {d} {dx} x⋅y^2+\frac {dy} {dx}2y⋅x -\frac {dy} {dx} \frac 2 {y^2}= 0##
then I would get ##-\frac {y^2} {2xy-\frac 2 {y^2}}##
I thought that I did the product rule.
f(x) = x
f'(x) = 1
g(x) = y2
g'(x) = 2y
I just did the product rule as f'g⋅g'f.
After the product rule I add the ##\frac 2 y ## but the derivative of this turns it into ##-\frac 2 {y^2}##? I can't seem to see what I've done wrong.

Schaus said:
f(x) = x
f'(x) = 1
g(x) = y2
g'(x) = 2y
After the product rule I add the ##\frac 2 y ## but the derivative of this turns it into ##-\frac 2 {y^2}##? I can't seem to see what I've done wrong.

It does not turn into ##-2/y^2##, it turns into ##-2 y'/y^2##.

Schaus said:
f(x) = x
f'(x) = 1
g(x) = y2
g'(x) = 2y
No. Don't forget that a change of x forces a change of y because of the initial equation. The chain rule gives g'(x) = 2y ##\frac {dy} {dx}##
After the product rule I add the ##\frac 2 y ## but the derivative of this turns it into ##-\frac 2 {y^2}##?
Same problem here. Use the chain rule and include ##\frac {dy} {dx}##.

Likes DrClaude
I think I'll just have to watch more videos on implicit differentiation because I'm lost.

Ok, let me see if I've done this properly. The product rule - ##(x\frac{dy}{dx}⋅2xy)+(1⋅y^2)##. Now for the ##\frac 2 y ## do I use the quotient rule?

Schaus said:
Ok, let me see if I've done this properly. The product rule - ##(x\frac{dy}{dx}⋅2xy)+(1⋅y^2)##. Now for the ##\frac 2 y ## do I use the quotient rule?
You could use the quotient rule, but it is a whole lot easier just to use the chain rule.

Ok so the chain rule is ##f'((g(x))⋅g'(x)##, correct? I'm a little confused as to what I am subbing in where.

Schaus said:
Ok so the chain rule is ##f'((g(x))⋅g'(x)##, correct? I'm a little confused as to what I am subbing in where.
Here's the chain rule for the problem you're having, using Leibniz notation.
##\frac d{dx}(y^2) = \frac d {dy}(y^2) \cdot \frac{dy}{dx}##
Can you continue?

Schaus said:
You can use the derivative of a power and the chain rule to calculate 2/y.

2/y is really 2⋅y-1 and y is really a function of x, so it is 2⋅y(x)-1
Therefore ##\frac {d} {dx}##(2/y)
= 2⋅##\frac {d} {dx}##(y(x)-1)
= 2⋅(-1)y(x)-2⋅y'(x)
= (-2/y2)⋅##\frac {dy} {dx}##

Schaus said:
It helps if you try to understand why you are doing what you are doing.

So, to differentiate [itex]\frac{2}{y}[/itex] with respect to x, you want to first differentiate with respect to y: [itex]\frac{d}{dy}\Big(\frac{2}{y}\Big)[/itex] and then multiply by dy/dx. So you have [itex]\frac{d}{dx}\Big(\frac{2}{y}\Big)=\frac{d}{dy}\Big(\frac{2}{y}\Big)\cdot\frac{dy}{dx}[/itex]

Ohhh ok so it should look something like this?

##\frac {d}{dx}(xy^2+\frac 2 y )= \frac d {dx}(4)##
##\frac {d}{dx}(xy^2)+\frac d{dx}\frac 2 y=0##
##(x\frac d{dx}⋅2xy)+(1⋅y^2)+(\frac d{dx}\frac 2 y )= 0##
## 2xy⋅\frac {dy}{dx}+y^2-\frac 2 {y^2}⋅\frac {dy}{dx}=0##
## \frac {dy}{dx}(2xy- \frac 2 {y^2}) = -y^2##
## \frac {dy}{dx} = - \frac {y^2} {2xy- \frac 2 {y^2}}##
Have I done this correctly?

Schaus said:
Ohhh ok so it should look something like this?

##\frac {d}{dx}(xy^2+\frac 2 y )= \frac d {dx}(4)##
##\frac {d}{dx}(xy^2)+\frac d{dx}\frac 2 y=0##
##(x\frac d{dx}⋅2xy)+(1⋅y^2)+(\frac d{dx}\frac 2 y )= 0##
## 2xy⋅\frac {dy}{dx}+y^2-\frac 2 {y^2}⋅\frac {dy}{dx}=0##
## \frac {dy}{dx}(2xy- \frac 2 {y^2}) = -y^2##
## \frac {dy}{dx} = - \frac {y^2} {2xy- \frac 2 {y^2}}##
Have I done this correctly?
No. The first two lines are correct, but things fall apart in the third line.
In differentiating ##xy^2## you are have a mistake here:
##(x\frac d{dx}⋅2xy)##
For this part of the product rule you should have ##x\frac d {dx}(y^2)##. You'll need to use the chain rule as I described in a previous post to finish this part.

Also, do not write ##\frac d{dx}⋅2xy##. You are not multiplying ##\frac d {dx}## and 2xy, which is what the dot (⋅) signifies.
In the line below the one I'm talking about, it looks like you corrected your mistake.

I would say that you need to work on mastering the basic rules of derivatives some more (product, chain, quotient). Almost all problems are solved using a combination of those. Until you get them mastered, there is little chance of getting more complicated combinations correct.

Yes, I've been trying to master the basics. I'm hoping that khan academy can help with that.

Likes FactChecker
Schaus said:
Yes, I've been trying to master the basics. I'm hoping that khan academy can help with that.

Why not purchase an actual BOOK on the subject? You can learn a lot from (for example) the Schaum's Outline series. Also: there are lots of free calculus textbooks available on-line, as well as tutorials and course notes, etc.

Likes FactChecker
Ray Vickson said:
Why not purchase an actual BOOK on the subject? You can learn a lot from (for example) the Schaum's Outline series. Also: there are lots of free calculus textbooks available on-line, as well as tutorials and course notes, etc.
I did not know of any books available. The course I'm doing is not very good. Thanks for the info I'm more than willing to purchase a book if it'll help.

I am also a big fan of the Schaum's Outline series. In post #22, some basic rules I forgot to mention are the specific derivatives of xn, ex, ln(x), and the trig functions. You should memorize those.

Last edited:
Schaus said:
I did not know of any books available. The course I'm doing is not very good. Thanks for the info I'm more than willing to purchase a book if it'll help.

What's the course text you are using?

Last edited by a moderator:
Schaus said:
I'm doing an online course called "Studyforge" or at least created by them. The course lacks detailed solutions for many of their problems which is hard for me because I learn more easily from seeing something done. I ordered https://www.amazon.com/gp/f.html?C=...LWQVEWA&ref_=pe_386430_126088100_TE_item&tag= and I'm hoping it is as good as the reviews say.
It looks like this has only problems and solutions. That may be fine for your needs. Schaum's Outline of Calculus has fewer problems and solutions (still over 1,000) along with some explanation and video access.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I got the wrong one? Crap

Alright, well I just got both. Can't hurt to have more.

Schaus said:
So I got the wrong one? Crap
I don't know.

Schaus said:
I learn more easily from seeing something done.
Certainly it's easier to understand a problem by seeing a solution to it, but I don't necessarily believe that you're actually learning much of anything. A good textbook will have plenty of examples, but the learning comes when you actually do the work for a problem. Part of the learning process is in making false starts and going along branches that don't lead anywhere. This thread is (I hope) a good example of what I'm talking about.

What is the equation of the tangent line of a curve?

The equation of the tangent line of a curve is a linear equation that represents the slope of the curve at a specific point. It is used to find the instantaneous rate of change or the slope of the curve at a given point.

How do you find the equation of the tangent line of a curve?

To find the equation of the tangent line of a curve, you need to first find the derivative of the curve at the given point. Then, you can use the point-slope form of a line to write the equation, where the slope is the derivative and the given point is used as the coordinates.

What information do you need to find the equation of the tangent line of a curve?

To find the equation of the tangent line of a curve, you need the coordinates of the given point on the curve and the derivative of the curve at that point. The derivative can be found using the rules of differentiation.

Can the equation of the tangent line of a curve change at different points?

Yes, the equation of the tangent line of a curve can change at different points. This is because the slope of the curve, which is represented by the derivative, can vary at different points.

What is the significance of finding the equation of the tangent line of a curve?

Finding the equation of the tangent line of a curve is important because it allows us to understand the behavior of the curve at a specific point. It also helps in finding the instantaneous rate of change or the slope of the curve at that point, which is useful in many applications such as physics, engineering, and economics.