What is the equivalent resistor seen from two terminals on the left?

• Thread starter scanferr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Resistor
In summary, the purpose of finding the equivalent resistor is to simplify a complex circuit into a single resistor, making it easier to analyze and calculate the circuit's overall behavior. The equivalent resistor is calculated using Ohm's Law and can be used to replace the original circuit in calculations and analysis. Series circuits have components connected end-to-end, while parallel circuits have components connected across each other. To determine if a circuit is in series or parallel, look at the connections between components. However, it may not be physically possible to replace the original circuit with a single resistor as the components may have specific functions and characteristics that the equivalent resistor cannot replicate.
scanferr

Homework Statement

R1 = 1K Ohm
R2= 50K Ohm
gM = 100mA/V

I should find the equivelent resistor seen from the two terminals on the left

Homework Equations

Nodes equations, Ohm's law.

The Attempt at a Solution

So, I started by putting a test voltage source on the left but I end up with 2 variables on the equivalent resistor equation that I can't be able to solve.
I did Circuit analysis last year, which I passed but now I'm a bit rusty with this. Anyone can help me?

Attachments

• sdos.PNG
    sdos.PNG
    1.8 KB · Views: 386
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you show what you've tried? Show your equations.

1. What is the purpose of finding the equivalent resistor?

The equivalent resistor is used to simplify a complex circuit into a single resistor, making it easier to analyze and calculate the circuit's overall behavior.

2. How is the equivalent resistor calculated?

The equivalent resistor is calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that the total resistance is equal to the sum of individual resistances in a series circuit and the reciprocal of the sum of individual resistances in a parallel circuit.

3. What is the difference between series and parallel circuits?

In a series circuit, the components are connected end-to-end, creating a single path for the current to flow. In a parallel circuit, the components are connected across each other, creating multiple paths for the current to flow.

4. How do I know if a circuit is in series or parallel?

A circuit is in series if all components are connected in a single path and in parallel if there are multiple paths for the current to flow. Additionally, the connections between components can provide clues as to whether the circuit is in series or parallel.

5. Can the equivalent resistor be used to replace the original circuit?

Yes, the equivalent resistor can be used to replace the original circuit in calculations and analysis. However, it may not be physically possible to replace the original circuit with a single resistor, as the components in the original circuit may have specific functions and characteristics that the equivalent resistor cannot replicate.