Find the final speed of the box

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the work done by friction and the final speed of a box being pushed along a rough, horizontal floor. The net work done on the box is found by subtracting the work done by friction from the applied horizontal force. The change in kinetic energy is then used to calculate the final speed of the box. The final speed is found to be 1.97 m/s.
jenita
there are 2 part for this problem I got the part one but i didnt get another one so helpppp please...

1)A 44.4 kg box initially at rest is pushed 5.3m along a rough, horizontal floor with a constant applied horizonta force of 181.646N.
The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s2.
If the coefficient of friction between box and floor is 0.38, find the work done by the friction. Answer in units of J.
The answer for this question is -876.33

2) find the final speed of the box. Answer UNits of m/s. Please help me in this problem...post the reply as soon as possible if u can...

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: What's the net work done on the box? And its resulting kinetic energy?

the fnet= ma that is 44.4 kg times 9.8 and i got 435.12 is that correct

to find the final speed...do i use v=vf-vi/t

jenita said:
the fnet= ma that is 44.4 kg times 9.8 and i got 435.12 is that correct
No. The acceleration is 9.8 only if it were falling freely. What you've calculated is the weight of the box.

You can either find the net force and calculate the acceleration, or find the net work and calculate the kinetic energy.

do u subtract the applied horizontal force and the work done by friction to find the net force

i have a problem very similar to this..do u subtract the applied horizontal force and the work done by friction to find the net force?

Aikenfan said:
i have a problem very similar to this..do u subtract the applied horizontal force and the work done by friction to find the net force?

You either find the net force or the net work. If you want the net force, subtract the friction force from the horizontal force. Then you can find acceleration and use a kinematic.

Or you could find the net work (subtract friction work from horizontal work) and find the change in kinetic energy. Then you can find the final velocity

so it would be -876.44 + 181.646 = -694.684
Fnet = ma
-694.684 = 44.4a
a = -15.65 ?

Aikenfan said:
so it would be -876.44 + 181.646 = -694.684
Fnet = ma
-694.684 = 44.4a
a = -15.65 ?

Youve got FORCES and WORKS. 1 of them is multiplied by the distance 5.3m. You cannot add them together until you have all FORCES or all WORKS

so the net work would be -876.44 + 962.7 (which is 181.646 x 5.3) = 86.28

Aikenfan said:
so the net work would be -876.44 + 962.7 (which is 181.646 x 5.3) = 86.28

Yes, and this is the change in kinetic energy

ok, now that I've got the change in kinetic energy:
do i do:
KE = 1/2mv^2
86.28 = 1/2(44.4) v^2
divide both sides by 22.2 and get 3.886 and then find the square route of that to get the speed = 1.97 m/s

by the way, thank you very much!

Looks good

thank u aiken fan...no actually mrs aiken..lol...

1. What is meant by "final speed"?

The final speed refers to the velocity of an object at the end of its motion. It is the speed at which the object stops moving.

2. How do you calculate the final speed of a box?

The final speed of a box can be calculated using the formula: final speed = initial speed + (acceleration x time). This formula is based on the principle of acceleration, which states that the change in an object's velocity is directly proportional to its acceleration and the time it has been accelerating.

3. What factors can affect the final speed of a box?

The final speed of a box can be affected by several factors, including the initial speed, the acceleration of the box, and the time it has been accelerating. Other factors that can impact the final speed include the mass and shape of the box, as well as any external forces acting upon it, such as friction or air resistance.

4. Can the final speed of a box be greater than its initial speed?

Yes, the final speed of a box can be greater than its initial speed. This can occur if the box is accelerating in the same direction as its initial velocity or if the box experiences a net force in the direction of its initial velocity. In these cases, the final speed will be greater than the initial speed.

5. How can the final speed of a box be determined experimentally?

The final speed of a box can be determined experimentally by conducting a controlled experiment in which the initial speed, acceleration, and time are measured and recorded. By plugging these values into the formula, the final speed can be calculated. This can also be done using motion sensors and data analysis software to track the motion of the box and determine its final speed.