Find the force on a conveyor belt

In summary, the homework statement states that sand is being poured onto a conveyor belt at the rate of 2kgs-1. To find the force required to move the belt at an acceleration of 3ms-2, the equations of motion must be used. However, it is stated that the force is not constant, and the given answers are in error. However, there is still an answer to the question. The hint is to look at dF/dt, which would give you 2(dm/dt)(dv/dt). Using this information, along with an initial condition, the force can be found to be 12N.
PhysicoRaj
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Sand is being poured onto a conveyor belt at the rate of 2kgs-1. Find the force required to move the belt at an acceleration of 3ms-2. Given the sand is not dumped off the belt at any point and the mass of the conveyor is negligible.

Homework Equations

F=ma=dP/dt
F-ma+v(dm/dt)=0
Conservation of momentum (:uhh:)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm really stuck. Have I considered the correct equations? dm/dt and dv/dt are given. With only these two I can't find a place to start. Or maybe I'm missing something simple and common which makes this opaque for me. Thanks for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
F=ma only if m is constant.
The general equation is F=dp/dt .

I think this is a varying force, determined by the mass on the belt at the instant and the instantaneous velocity, as is obvious from F=m[dv/dt]+v[dm/dt]. How can there be a specific value as an answer for this question?
[Edit:]I'm starting to think the problem is wrong. Here are the options given:
A]6N
B]38N
c]zero
D]1.5N

Last edited:
PhysicoRaj said:
I think this is a varying force, determined by the mass on the belt at the instant and the instantaneous velocity, as is obvious from F=m[dv/dt]+v[dm/dt]. How can there be a specific value as an answer for this question?
[Edit:]I'm starting to think the problem is wrong. Here are the options given:
A]6N
B]38N
c]zero
D]1.5N

I agree with your thoughts. The force is not constant and the given answers are in error.

However, there is still an answer to the question.
Hint: how about dF/dt?

Likes 1 person
I agree with your thoughts. The force is not constant and the given answers are in error.
However, there is still an answer to the question.
Hint: how about dF/dt?

Thanks. That would mean d2P/dt2 which gives me.. 2(dm/dt)(dv/dt) [because acceleration is constant and dm/dt is constant]that would be 12N. But it's not given in the options. I think they were meaning velocity of 3ms-1 instead of accel. If it was so, then I would get F=m(dv/dt)+v(dm/dt)=v(dm/dt)=3*2=6N. Right?

Well, the problem clearly stated an "acceleration of 3m/s^2" so I don't think they meant 3 m/s velocity. (If they did mean 3 m/s the answer would be F=6N as you say.)

In your post 3 you speculated that a time-varying force was needed. So how can you wind up with a constant force (of 12N)? Had you checked dimensions you would have caught the error immediately.

It would give you dF/dt = what you derived above, i.e. 2(dm/dt)(dv/dt) which is not F.
So solve dF/dt = 2(dm/dt)(dv/dt) = 2a (dm/dt), what do you get for F?

Hint: you need an initial condition for the complete solution. You can for example assume that at t=0 the mass just starts to pile up on the conveyor belt.

rude man said:
It would give you dF/dt = what you derived above, i.e. 2(dm/dt)(dv/dt) which is not F.
So solve dF/dt = 2(dm/dt)(dv/dt) = 2a (dm/dt), what do you get for F?
Ah.. I get it.
Considering [itex]\frac{dF}{dt}=2a\frac{dm}{dt}[/itex]
[itex]dF=2a.dm[/itex]

[itex]F=2am[/itex]
Am I right?

At t=0, m=0 so F=0.
At t=t(say), m=2t (bcz dm=2dt), so [itex]F(t)=4at[/itex]
That would fetch me [itex]F(t)=12t[/itex]
(At the end of one second, the force would be 12N.)

Last edited:
PhysicoRaj said:
Ah.. I get it.
Considering dF/dt = 2a(dm/dt)
dF=2a(dm)
F=2am
Am I right?
At t=0, m=0 so F=0.
At t=t(say), m=2t (bcz dm=2dt), so F(t)=4at
That would fetch me F(t)=12t
(At the end of one second, the force would be 12N.)

Bingo! Good work.

Likes 1 person
Thanks a lot rude man!:smile:
(and now for some LaTex practice..)

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of finding the force on a conveyor belt?

The force on a conveyor belt is important for understanding the amount of work needed to move objects along the belt, as well as for designing and maintaining the belt to ensure its safe and efficient operation.

2. How do you calculate the force on a conveyor belt?

The force on a conveyor belt can be calculated using the formula F = m*a, where F is the force in Newtons, m is the mass of the object being moved, and a is the acceleration of the object. This formula takes into account the weight of the object as well as any additional forces, such as friction, acting on the belt.

3. What factors can affect the force on a conveyor belt?

The force on a conveyor belt can be affected by several factors, including the weight of the objects being moved, the speed of the belt, the angle of incline, and the coefficient of friction between the belt and the objects.

4. How can the force on a conveyor belt be reduced?

The force on a conveyor belt can be reduced by using a lower speed or incline, reducing the weight of the objects being moved, or by using a material with a lower coefficient of friction for the belt. Regular maintenance and lubrication can also help reduce the force required to move objects along the belt.

5. How does the force on a conveyor belt impact the overall efficiency of the system?

The force on a conveyor belt is directly related to the amount of work required to move objects along the belt. Therefore, a higher force can result in a less efficient system, as more energy is needed to move the objects. By understanding and optimizing the force on the belt, the overall efficiency of the system can be improved.