Find the Formula of compound X

• Thread starter cyt91
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Formula
In summary, the experiment involved burning 1.11 g of compound X and producing 1.98 g of carbon dioxide and 0.81 g of water. The question was which of the given compounds (A, B, C, D) could be X. By calculating the moles of carbon and hydrogen in the products and comparing it to the original mass of X, it was determined that the correct answer was B, CH_{3}CH_{2}COOH.
cyt91

Homework Statement

When 1.11 g of a compound X is completely burnt,1.98 g of carbon dioxide and 0.81 g of water were formed. Which of the following could be X?

A. CH[tex]_{3}[/tex]CH[tex]_{2}[/tex]CH[tex]_{3}[/tex]
B. CH[tex]_{3}[/tex]CH[tex]_{2}[/tex]COOH
C.CH[tex]_{3}[/tex]COCH[tex]_{3}[/tex]
D.C[tex]_{6}[/tex]H[tex]_{5}[/tex]CH[tex]_{2}[/tex]OH

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried

C[tex]_{x}[/tex]H[tex]_{y}[/tex] + {x+[tex]\frac{y}{4}[/tex]}O[tex]_{2}[/tex] [tex]\rightarrow[/tex]
XC0[tex]_{2}[/tex] + [tex]\frac{y}{2}[/tex]H[tex]_{2}[/tex]O

but how about the oxygen atom(s) within compound X?

How can I form a balanced equation for X containing O?

Sorry about the equations and formulae... can't get the subscripts in the right positions.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The only things in the product that you can be absolutely sure come from the reactant is the carbon and hydrogen. So, from the water and CO2, calculate how many moles of C and H you had to begin with. What's the mass of this amount of carbon and hydrogen - is it enough to account for all of the 1.11 g you had to begin with?

Got it. Useful hint.Thanks. Answer's B. :smile:

What is the first step in finding the formula of compound X?

The first step is to determine the elements present in compound X. This can be done through various methods such as chemical analysis and spectroscopy.

What information do I need to find the formula of compound X?

You will need the mass of each element present in the compound, as well as their atomic masses. This information can be found on the periodic table.

How do I calculate the empirical formula of compound X?

To calculate the empirical formula, divide the mass of each element by its atomic mass. Then, divide the resulting values by the smallest value obtained. The resulting numbers will give you the subscripts for each element in the formula.

How do I determine the molecular formula of compound X?

To determine the molecular formula, you will need to know the molar mass of the compound. Divide the molar mass by the empirical formula mass to get a whole number. Then, multiply the subscripts in the empirical formula by this whole number to get the molecular formula.

What are some common mistakes when finding the formula of compound X?

Some common mistakes include using incorrect values for the mass of elements, using the wrong atomic masses, and not converting units properly. It is important to double-check all calculations and use accurate data to avoid these errors.