Understanding Fourier Transforms for Translated Functions

In summary, when finding the Fourier Transform of a translated function multiplied by a characteristic or heaviside function, the range of the function must be shifted to the right by the amount of the translation before evaluating the transform.
bodensee9

Homework Statement

I am supposed to find the Fourier Transform of the following:

suppose t(subu) is a translation of the function f by u, so that f*t(subu) = f(t-u).
suppose also that 1 means denotes a characteristic function so that the characteristic function has the value 1 from -T to T and 0 everywhere else.

1. f=t(subu)*1.

Would I evaluate the Fourier Transform with f = 1 from (-T+u) to T. My reasoning would be that since 1 means that f has value from -T to T, but then f is translated by u, so that you would need to add u to -T for f to have a value?

2. suppose that H is the heaviside function that takes the value of 1 from 0 to inf.

f = t(subu)*1*H.

would I evaluate the Fourier Transform from u to T? My reasoning is that because of H, f can only have a value from 0 to inf, but that is shifted by u, so you need to evaluate it from u to inf.

3. f = 1*t(subu)*H

would I get the same answer as 2?

Thanks very much.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
1. Yes, you would evaluate the Fourier Transform with f = 1 from (-T+u) to T. This is because the translation of the function by u means that the function's value is shifted to the right by u. Therefore, in order for the function to have a value from -T to T, you need to add u to -T. Therefore, the Fourier Transform should be evaluated with f = 1 from (-T+u) to T.2. Yes, you would evaluate the Fourier Transform from u to T. This is because the heaviside function H means that the function can only have a value from 0 to inf. However, since the function is translated by u, you need to shift the range of the function to the right by u. Therefore, the Fourier Transform should be evaluated from u to T.3. Yes, you would get the same answer as 2. This is because the order of the operations does not matter, so the order of the multiplication does not matter. Therefore, the Fourier Transform should still be evaluated from u to T.

1. What is the Fourier Transform?

The Fourier Transform is a mathematical operation that decomposes a signal into its individual frequency components. It allows us to analyze the frequency content of a signal and understand its behavior in the frequency domain.

2. Why is the Fourier Transform important?

The Fourier Transform is important because it has many applications in science and engineering. It is used in fields such as signal processing, image processing, and data analysis. It allows us to extract meaningful information from signals and make predictions about their behavior.

3. What is the difference between the Fourier Transform and the Inverse Fourier Transform?

The Fourier Transform converts a signal from the time domain to the frequency domain, while the Inverse Fourier Transform converts a signal from the frequency domain back to the time domain. They are essentially inverse operations of each other.

4. What is the relationship between the Fourier Transform and the Discrete Fourier Transform?

The Discrete Fourier Transform (DFT) is a discrete version of the Fourier Transform that is used to analyze finite, discrete signals. It is closely related to the Fourier Transform, but it operates on a finite number of data points rather than a continuous signal.

5. How is the Fourier Transform calculated?

The Fourier Transform is typically calculated using mathematical formulas that involve integrals or summations. However, there are also efficient algorithms, such as the Fast Fourier Transform (FFT), that can be used to calculate the Fourier Transform of a signal much faster than the traditional methods.