Discovering the Fourier Transform: A Guide to Solving for X(jω)

In summary, the function x(t) is a periodic function with a frequency of 8ω. The Fourier transform of this function is given by 200X(j 8 \omega).
Jncik

Homework Statement

find the Fourier transform of the function

[tex]
x(t)=\left\{\begin{matrix}
&25 - \frac{25}{8}|t-10| &for &|t-10|<8 \\
&0 &for& |t-10|>8
\end{matrix}\right.
[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

we know that

[tex]
g(t)=\left\{\begin{matrix}
&1-|t| &for &|t|<1 \\
&0 &for& |t|>1
\end{matrix}\right.\leftrightarrow X(j\omega) =\left\{\begin{matrix}
&\begin{bmatrix}
{\frac{\frac{sin(\omega)}{2}}{\frac{\omega}{2}}}
\end{bmatrix}^{2} &for &|\omega|<1 \\
&0 &for& |\omega|>1
\end{matrix}\right.
[/tex]

we can see that [tex]x(t) = 25g(\frac{1}{8} (t-10)) [/tex]

now

[tex]25g(t-10) \leftrightarrow 25 X(j \omega) e^{-j 10 \omega} [/tex]

and

[tex] 25g(1/8(t-10)) \leftrightarrow \frac{25}{8} X(j\frac{\omega}{8}) e^{-j 10 \frac{\omega}{8}}[/tex]

is this correct?

thanks in advance

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your approach looks fine, but I think you got the factors of 8 in the wrong place. Since it divides t, it should be multiplying ω. Also, I'm not sure where you got the overall factor of 1/8 in front.

There's an error in what you wrote for X(ω), but I assume it's just a typo. It should be sin(ω/2), not (sin ω)/2.

Last edited:
Yes you're right

[tex] 25g(1/8(t-10)) \leftrightarrow 200 X(j 8 \omega) e^{-j 80 \omega}[/tex]

"Also, I'm not sure where you got the overall factor of 1/8 in front."

isn't 25g(1/8(t-10)) = x(t)?

for g(1/8 t - 10/8) and the first interval I will have

[tex] 1 - |\frac{t}{8} - \frac{10}{8}|[/tex] for [tex]|\frac{t}{8} - \frac{10}{8}|<1[/tex]

for the second interval I will get zero as a result

now if I multiply this by 25 I will get the following result for the first interval

[tex] 25-\frac{25}{8}|t-10|[/tex] for [tex]|t-10|<8[/tex]

and the second remains 0 but with interval [tex]|t-10|>8[/tex]

which is essentially the x(t)

Last edited:
I meant the 8 that you multiplied into the 25 to get 200. I didn't think it should be there, but I just checked the tables and found you were right.

thanks I have one more question

I think I'm wrong with my FT calculations[tex]25g(t-10) \leftrightarrow 25 X(j \omega) e^{-j 10 \omega} [/tex]

but I have [tex] 25g(\frac{1}{8}(t-10)) [/tex]

hence
[tex] 25g(1/8(t-10)) \leftrightarrow 200 X(j 8 \omega) e^{-j 10 \omega}[/tex]

I mean I should first find 25 g(1/8 t)

and then

find the final result due to the shifting by 10...but I'm not sure about

Last edited:
Good catch. As you suggested, you can look at it as a shift by 10 of g(t/8). I think that's the simplest way.

You could, however, perform the shift first and then the scaling, but it's a bit tricky. The shift would have to be by 10/8, giving you g(t - 10/8). Then when you scale time, you replace t by t/8 to get g(t/8 - 10/8) = g[(t-10)/8]. In the frequency domain, the shift factor would originally be e-j(10/8)ω, and then the scaling would replace ω by 8ω, giving you e-j10ω again.

that was a nice alternative

thanks a lot for your help :)

What is the Fourier Transform?

The Fourier Transform is a mathematical operation that decomposes a function into its constituent frequencies. It is used to analyze the frequency components of a signal or function.

What is the purpose of the Fourier Transform?

The Fourier Transform is used to convert a function or signal from the time or spatial domain into the frequency domain, allowing for a better understanding of the underlying frequencies present. It is commonly used in signal processing, image processing, and data analysis.

How is the Fourier Transform calculated?

The Fourier Transform is calculated using an integral over the entire range of the function or signal. It involves decomposing the function into an infinite sum of sine and cosine waves with different frequencies and amplitudes.

What are the applications of the Fourier Transform?

The Fourier Transform has a wide range of applications in various fields, including audio and video compression, image processing, data analysis, and solving differential equations. It is also used in engineering, physics, and mathematics for solving complex problems.

What is the difference between the Fourier Transform and the Inverse Fourier Transform?

The Fourier Transform converts a function from the time or spatial domain into the frequency domain, while the Inverse Fourier Transform does the opposite, converting a function from the frequency domain back to the time or spatial domain. Together, they form a pair of mathematical operations that are used to analyze and manipulate signals and functions.