Solve for Function M in Exact Equation | 65 Characters

• Thread starter Math10
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary: I was able to solve for M using your method. In summary, the function M is the derivative of a function that involves x and y only.
Math10

Homework Statement

Find the function M such that M(x, y)dx+(x^2-y^2)dy=0 is exact.

Homework Equations

This is an exact equation.

The Attempt at a Solution

Here's my work:

integral of (x^2-y^2)dy=yx^2-y^3/3+h(x)=C
2xy+h'(x)=M(x, y)
But the answer in the book is M(x, y)=2xy+f(x). How do I get to the answer from there?

Physics news on Phys.org
By putting h'(x)=f(x)

Math10 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Here's my work:

2xy+h'(x)=M(x, y)
But the answer in the book is M(x, y)=2xy+f(x). How do I get to the answer from there?

So you have ##M(x,y)=2xy+h'(x)## and the book has ##M(x,y)=2xy+f(x)##. Seems to me that your answer is basically the same as the book's; you just have different names for the the "extra" function of ##x##.

Math10 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Here's my work:

2xy+h'(x)=M(x, y)
They want a function M such that My = Nx.
IOW,
$$\frac{\partial M}{\partial y} = \frac{\partial (x^2 - y^2)}{\partial x} = 2x$$
If you integrate 2x with respect to y, you get 2xy + some arbitrary function of x. Taking the partial with respect to y of a function that involves only x is similar to taking the derivative of a constant.

Likes Math10
Let f(x,y) be any function of two variables and assume that x and y are themselves functions of some variable, t. Then we could write f as a function of the single variable t and, by the chain rule, [itex]df/dt= (\partial f/\partial x) dx/dt+ (\partial f/\partial y)dy/dt[/itex]. In terms of "differentials" that is [itex]df= (\partial f/\partial x)dx+ (\partial f/\partial y)dy[/itex].

An expression of the form [itex]M(x,y)dx+ N(x,y)dy[/itex] is an "exact differential" if and only if there exist a function f such that [itex]\partial f/\partial x= M(x, y)[/itex] and [itex]\partial f/\partial y= N(x, y)[/itex]. Of course, if that is true, we have [itex]\partial M/\partial y= \partial^2 f/\partial x\partial y[/itex] and [itex]\partial N/\partial x= \partial^2 f/\partial y\partial x[/itex]. But those "mixed second partial derivatives" must be equal so to be an "exact differential" we must have [itex]\partial M/\partial y= \partial N/\partial x[/itex]

Here, [itex]N= x^2- y^2[/itex] so that [itex]\partial N/\partial x= 2x[/itex]. We must have [itex]\partial M/\partial y= 2x[/itex] so that, integrating with respect to y while holding x constant, we have [itex]M= 2xy+ f(x)[/itex]. "f(x)" is the constant of integration- since we integrate with respect to y while holding x constant, that "constant of integration" can be any function of x.

Mark44 said:
They want a function M such that My = Nx.
IOW,
$$\frac{\partial M}{\partial y} = \frac{\partial (x^2 - y^2)}{\partial x} = 2x$$
If you integrate 2x with respect to y, you get 2xy + some arbitrary function of x. Taking the partial with respect to y of a function that involves only x is similar to taking the derivative of a constant.
Thank you so much, @Mark44!

1. What is an exact equation?

An exact equation is a mathematical equation where the independent variables and their derivatives appear in a specific pattern that allows for the equation to be solved using integration.

2. What is the role of function M in an exact equation?

Function M represents the integrating factor in an exact equation. It is used to transform the equation into a form that can be solved using integration.

3. How do you solve for function M in an exact equation?

To solve for function M, you must first identify the exact equation and then use specific techniques, such as the method of integrating factors, to manipulate the equation into a form where M can be found.

4. Can function M be any function in an exact equation?

No, function M must be a specific integrating factor that satisfies certain conditions in order for the equation to be solved using integration. It is not arbitrary and must be carefully chosen.

5. What is the significance of solving for function M in an exact equation?

Solving for function M allows us to transform the exact equation into a form that can be solved using integration. This is important because integration allows us to find a general solution to the equation, which can then be used to find specific solutions for different initial conditions.