Find the gauge pressure at a second point in the line

In summary, the problem at hand involves finding the gauge pressure at a second point in a horizontal pipeline, given the water's speed and gauge pressure at a first point, and knowing that the crosssectional area at the second point is twice that of the first. Bernoulli's equation and the principle of incompressibility can be used to solve this problem, by relating the pressure and velocity at the two points. Combining this with the continuity equation can lead to a solution for the area at the first point, and ultimately, the gauge pressure at the second point.
CollectiveRocker
I have been going over this problem for at least 3 hours now, without any sign of improvement. I was wondering if you guys could at least point me in the direction of something I missed. Problem: At a certain point in a horizontal pipeline, the water's speed is 2.50 m/s and the gauge pressure is 1.80 * 10^5 Pa. Find the gauge pressure at a second point in the line if the crosssection area at the second point is twice that of the first. Now I realize the critical part of this problem is finding the area, thus Pressure = Force/Area. But how do you find the area at point 1 without knowing the radius? Is there another formula for area which i don't know>

Physics news on Phys.org
CollectiveRocker said:
I have been going over this problem for at least 3 hours now, without any sign of improvement. I was wondering if you guys could at least point me in the direction of something I missed. Problem: At a certain point in a horizontal pipeline, the water's speed is 2.50 m/s and the gauge pressure is 1.80 * 10^5 Pa. Find the gauge pressure at a second point in the line if the crosssection area at the second point is twice that of the first. Now I realize the critical part of this problem is finding the area, thus Pressure = Force/Area. But how do you find the area at point 1 without knowing the radius? Is there another formula for area which i don't know>

This looks like a job for Bernoulli's eq. to me, not pressure = force/area. The trick is that you need to know that when you double the area, you halve the flow velocity. This happens because water is incompressible, so velocity*area = constant. So know you know the pressure and velocity at point 1, and you can figure out the velocity at point 2, thus you can compute the pressure with Bernoulli's eq.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/pber.html

So are P1 & P2 = gauge pressure, y1 = 0, y2 = 0.

rho * Area * Velocity = constant.. in your case rho 1 = rho 2 since density of water does not change.. so there you go...

Yes, a combination of Continuity, and Bernoulli, should get you there.

1. What is gauge pressure in a fluid system?

Gauge pressure is the difference between the absolute pressure and the atmospheric pressure at a specific point in a fluid system. It is measured relative to the atmospheric pressure, which is typically 1 atm (14.7 psi).

2. How is gauge pressure calculated?

Gauge pressure can be calculated by subtracting the atmospheric pressure from the absolute pressure at a specific point in the fluid system. The resulting value is the gauge pressure, typically measured in units of psi or bar.

3. Why is it important to find the gauge pressure at a second point in the line?

Knowing the gauge pressure at multiple points in a fluid system is important for understanding the flow and pressure changes within the system. This information can help identify any potential issues or inefficiencies in the system.

4. What factors can affect the gauge pressure in a fluid system?

The gauge pressure in a fluid system can be affected by various factors, including the flow rate, fluid density, temperature, and the elevation of the measurement point. Changes in these factors can cause fluctuations in the gauge pressure.

5. How can gauge pressure be measured at a second point in the line?

Gauge pressure can be measured using a pressure gauge or manometer at the desired point in the fluid system. The gauge should be calibrated to read the pressure relative to the atmospheric pressure in order to obtain the accurate gauge pressure at that point.