• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Find the gear ratio for maximum angular acceleration

• Thread starter fahraynk
  • Start date
jack action
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
A constant torque is applied to a pinion which has a moment of inertia of I_m. The pinion(A) drives two gears, one (B) which is connected to a mass which has a moment of inertia = I_m and the other(C) is connected to a mass which has a moment of inertia = 2I_m. The gear ration R_1=A/B is fixed and is equal to 3. What should the gear ration R_2=A/C be to give the maximum angular acceleration of gear 4? Neglect the mass of the gears.
Free body diagram of pinion (A):
  • A constant torque ##T## is applied;
  • A force ##F_B## is reacted at radius ##A## from the gear (B);
  • A force ##F_C## is reacted at radius ##A## from the gear (C);
  • Pinion (A) has moment of inertia ##I_m## and an angular acceleration ##\alpha_A##.
Thus:
$$T = F_B A + F_C A + I_m\alpha_A$$
You have 3 unknowns (##F_B##, ##F_C## & ##\alpha_A##) therefore you need 3 equations to solve the problem.

Free body diagram of gear (B):
  • A force ##F_B## is applied at radius ##B## from the pinion (A);
  • Gear (B) has moment of inertia ##I_m## and an angular acceleration ##\alpha_B##.
Thus:
$$F_B B = I_m\alpha_B$$
We introduce a 4th unknown (##\alpha_B##) thus we will need 4 equations.

Free body diagram of gear (C):
  • A force ##F_C## is applied at radius ##C## from the pinion (A);
  • Gear (C) has moment of inertia ##2I_m## and an angular acceleration ##\alpha_C##.
Thus:
$$F_C C = 2I_m\alpha_C$$
We introduce a 5th unknown (##\alpha_C##) thus we will need 5 equations.

We also know that linear accelerations are the same for each gear at the contact point between pinion (A) and gear (B), thus:
$$a_A = a_B$$
$$\alpha_A A = \alpha_B B$$
Similarly for the linear accelerations between pinion (A) and gear (C):
$$\alpha_A A = \alpha_C C$$
There, we have 5 equations with 5 unknowns. So:
$$T = F_B A + F_C A + I_m\alpha_A$$
$$T = \left(\frac{I_m}{B} \alpha_B\right) A + \left(\frac{2I_m}{C} \alpha_C \right) A + I_m\alpha_A$$
$$T = \frac{A}{B} I_m\alpha_B + \frac{A}{C} 2I_m \alpha_C + I_m\alpha_A$$
$$T = \frac{A}{B} I_m\left(\frac{A}{B}\alpha_A\right) + \frac{A}{C} 2I_m \left(\frac{A}{C}\alpha_A\right) + I_m\alpha_A$$
$$T = \left(\frac{A}{B}\right)^2 I_m \alpha_A +\left(\frac{A}{C}\right)^2 2I_m \alpha_A + I_m\alpha_A$$
$$\alpha_A = \frac{1}{\left(\frac{A}{B}\right)^2 + 2\left(\frac{A}{C}\right)^2 + 1 }\frac{T}{I_m}$$
And then from the last 2 equations:
$$\alpha_B = \frac{A}{B}\alpha_A = \frac{^A/_B}{\left(\frac{A}{B}\right)^2 + 2\left(\frac{A}{C}\right)^2 + 1 }\frac{T}{I_m}$$
$$\alpha_C = \frac{A}{C}\alpha_A = \frac{^A/_C}{\left(\frac{A}{B}\right)^2 + 2\left(\frac{A}{C}\right)^2 + 1 }\frac{T}{I_m}$$
Now we can find where ##\alpha_C## will be max when its derivative will be zero, i.e.:
$$\frac{d\alpha_C}{d^A/_C} = \frac{\frac{\left(^A/_B\right)^2 + 1}{\left(^A/_C\right)^2} - 2}{\left( \frac{\left(^A/_B\right)^2 + 1}{^A/_C} + 2\ ^A/_C \right)^2}\frac{T}{I_m} = 0$$
Which means that:
$$^A/_C = \sqrt{\frac{\left(^A/_B\right)^2 + 1}{2}}$$
Or ##^A/_C = \sqrt{5} = 2.236##. Now, I know you said the answer was supposed ##\sqrt{1.8}##, but I'm pretty sure of my answer with the problem as stated (although I cannot be sure of what you meant by «gear 4»).

haruspex
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
We also know that linear accelerations are the same for each gear at the contact point between pinion (A) and gear (B), thus:
$$a_A = a_B$$
$$\alpha_A A = \alpha_B B$$
Similarly for the linear accelerations between pinion (A) and gear (C):
$$\alpha_A A = \alpha_C C$$
There, we have 5 equations with 5 unknowns.
AH! Nice. I didn't realize this condition existed... duh.
This really makes me chill now to... because I was going nuts over why gear ratios worked and couldn't find a derivation... Thanks!

You are, of course, correct. The relationship follows from Newton's third. As I go on to point out, it's not "equal and opposite" but, instead...
Thanks for your help jbriggs444! also haruspex jack action and Dr.D