Find the General Solution of This Homog. Linear Sys. w/ Constant Coeff.

In summary: This causes the determinant to be incorrectly evaluated, and the answer you get for eigenvalues is inaccurate. In summary, the first step in finding the eigenvalues is to evaluate the determinant of your matrix, but if you make a mistake in this calculation, the result you get will be inaccurate.
rugerts
Homework Statement
Find the general solution of the given system of equations.
Relevant Equations
Finding eigenvalues: det(A-λI) = 0 ; Trace determinant plane eqn: λ^2 -Tλ + D
Finding eigenvectors: solve v(A-λI) = 0 (v and zero are vectors)
Hello,
I'm trying to find the general solution of this homog. system w/ constant coefficients. I can't even get past the first step, which is to find the eigenvalues. As far as I know, there are a few approaches:

1) solve det(A-λI) = 0

2) solve the trace determinant plane equation (which is practically the same as step 1). Then use quadratic formula. Here things get ugly pretty quickly.
See this calculation here, https://www.symbolab.com/solver/quadratic-equation-calculator/solve x^{2}-\left(1-i\right)x-i=0 , a substitution x=a+bi is made (which I didn't even know was at my disposal). When I solve without making this substitution, as you can see in my work below crossed by the red X, it appears as though my answer for eigenvalues is incorrect at least from what the book has.
I wonder if the answer I got and what the book has are equivalent?

3) Try to row reduce such that I get a zero for one entry and it simplifies things greatly. Here, https://www.slader.com/textbook/9780470458310-elementary-differential-equations-and-boundary-value-problems-10th-edition/405/problems/10/ , you can see this was done but I don't see what exact row operations they performed to get here, and it's unlikely I would have come up with the same. In fact, you can see in my work I did different row operations, and came upon a result. Is this result also equivalent to what the book has for its eigenvalues?

Note: The book lists the eigenvalues as 1 and -i.

Here's my work:
IMG-2058.JPG

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like you have a mistake right at the beginning of your work, in evaluating the determinant of your matrix. This is in the first line of your work.
The determinant should be ##\begin{vmatrix}2-\lambda & 2 + i \\ -1 & -1 - i - \lambda \end{vmatrix}##
In your work at the top of the page you neglected ##\lambda## in the lower right entry.

1. What is a homogenous linear system with constant coefficients?

A homogenous linear system with constant coefficients is a system of linear equations where the coefficients (numbers multiplied by the variables) are constants (numbers that do not change).

2. How do you find the general solution of a homogenous linear system with constant coefficients?

To find the general solution, you first need to set up the system of equations in matrix form. Then, use Gaussian elimination or other methods to reduce the matrix to its row echelon form. Finally, use back substitution to solve for the variables and obtain the general solution.

3. What is the difference between a particular solution and a general solution?

A particular solution is a specific set of values for the variables that satisfies the system of equations. A general solution, on the other hand, is a formula or expression that represents all possible solutions to the system of equations.

4. Can a homogenous linear system with constant coefficients have infinitely many solutions?

Yes, a homogenous linear system with constant coefficients can have infinitely many solutions. This occurs when the system of equations is dependent, meaning one or more equations can be obtained by adding or multiplying other equations in the system.

5. How is the general solution affected by changes in the coefficients of a homogenous linear system?

The general solution is not affected by changes in the coefficients of a homogenous linear system. As long as the coefficients are constants, the general solution will remain the same. However, changes in the constants in the system can result in different particular solutions.