1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the general solution?

1. Jul 29, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the general solution of (x+1)2y"+3(x+1)y'+0.75y=0 that is valid in any interval not including the singular point.

2. Relevant equations
    y=xr
    y'=rxr-1
    y"=r(r-1)xr-2
    (x+1)2(r(r-1)xr-2)+3(x+1)(rxr-1)+0.75xr=0
    3. The attempt at a solution
    What to do next?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 29, 2013 #2

Zondrina

Homework Helper

This looks like a good candidate for a power series solution. Do you know what an ordinary point is?

4. Jul 29, 2013 #3
    No. Please help me from the work that I've shown you.

5. Jul 30, 2013 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You are on the right track, but change the variable to t=x+1, and find the solution in the form y=tr (y=(x+1)r).

ehild

6. Jul 31, 2013 #5

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think this can be solved analytically.

It is not indispensible, but you could make the variable X = (x + 1) to have a slightly tamer looking equation, as d/dx = d/dX OK? Edit: I see already suggested.

Then you might recognise this as the linear homogeneous equation. Bearing out what I said in https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=4458709&postcount=5 I easily found in Piaggio Art. 40 how to treat this kind. I don't say your substitutions won't work too, but Piaggio gives substitute X = et. You are in the end able to express in t without X and get a linear d.e.

I get
    [tex] 4 \frac{d^2y}{dt^2} + 16\frac{dy}{dt} + 3y = 0 [/tex]
    but don't rely on me, maybe that should be 8dy/dt after all*, it will be something solvable anyway.

Offhand I don't see what the 'singular point' is about, is this X = y = 0?

I would be glad to see the solution results here and what the s.p. is about.

*Edit: Gives nice factorisation! It must be that! :biggrin:

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
  7. Aug 1, 2013 #6

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The solutions can be found in the form y=(x+1)r. Substituting back, r1=-1/2 and r2=-3/2. So the singular point is x=-1.

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted