Find the general solution?

In summary, this problem seems to be a good candidate for a power series solution. You could try to find it analytically, or you could make the variable X = (x + 1) to have a slightly tamer looking equation, and then solve for y.
Success

Homework Statement

Find the general solution of (x+1)2y"+3(x+1)y'+0.75y=0 that is valid in any interval not including the singular point.

Homework Equations

y=xr
y'=rxr-1
y"=r(r-1)xr-2
(x+1)2(r(r-1)xr-2)+3(x+1)(rxr-1)+0.75xr=0

The Attempt at a Solution

What to do next?

Physics news on Phys.org
Success said:

Homework Statement

Find the general solution of (x+1)2y"+3(x+1)y'+0.75y=0 that is valid in any interval not including the singular point.

Homework Equations

y=xr
y'=rxr-1
y"=r(r-1)xr-2

What to do next?

This looks like a good candidate for a power series solution. Do you know what an ordinary point is?

No. Please help me from the work that I've shown you.

Success said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

y=xr
y'=rxr-1
y"=r(r-1)xr-2

What to do next?

You are on the right track, but change the variable to t=x+1, and find the solution in the form y=tr (y=(x+1)r).

ehild

I think this can be solved analytically.

It is not indispensible, but you could make the variable X = (x + 1) to have a slightly tamer looking equation, as d/dx = d/dX OK? Edit: I see already suggested.

Then you might recognise this as the linear homogeneous equation. Bearing out what I said in https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=4458709&postcount=5 I easily found in Piaggio Art. 40 how to treat this kind. I don't say your substitutions won't work too, but Piaggio gives substitute X = et. You are in the end able to express in t without X and get a linear d.e.

I get
[tex] 4 \frac{d^2y}{dt^2} + 16\frac{dy}{dt} + 3y = 0 [/tex]
but don't rely on me, maybe that should be 8dy/dt after all*, it will be something solvable anyway.

Offhand I don't see what the 'singular point' is about, is this X = y = 0?

I would be glad to see the solution results here and what the s.p. is about.

*Edit: Gives nice factorisation! It must be that! :biggrin:

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
The solutions can be found in the form y=(x+1)r. Substituting back, r1=-1/2 and r2=-3/2. So the singular point is x=-1.

ehild

1. What is the general solution?

The general solution is a mathematical expression that represents all possible solutions to a given problem. It takes into account all variables and parameters that may affect the outcome of the problem.

2. Why is it important to find the general solution?

Finding the general solution allows us to have a complete understanding of the problem and its potential solutions. It also helps us to identify any special cases or boundary conditions that may arise.

3. How do you find the general solution?

To find the general solution, we use mathematical techniques such as integration, differentiation, and substitution to eliminate any constants or variables in the problem. This results in a general expression that can be used to solve the problem for any given values of the variables.

4. Can the general solution be used to find specific solutions?

Yes, the general solution can be used to find specific solutions by plugging in the given values of the variables. This allows us to determine the exact solution to the problem for a particular set of conditions.

5. Are there any limitations to the general solution?

Yes, there may be limitations to the general solution depending on the complexity of the problem. In some cases, the general solution may not be able to capture all possible solutions, and additional techniques may be needed to find a more accurate solution.