1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the harmonic mean

1. Nov 23, 2012 #1

utkarshakash

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The harmonic mean of the roots of the equation [itex](5+\sqrt{2})x^2-(4+\sqrt{5})x+8+2\sqrt{5}=0[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I know this question is easy but the main problem arises in finding the roots of the above equation. When I use the quadratic formula I get some complicated terms which is not easy to solve. What should I do?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, "finding the roots of the equation" is not the hard part because you don't need to find the roots! The first thing I would do is divide the entire equation by [itex]5+\sqrt{2}[/itex] to make the leading coefficient 1. Such a quadratic equation can be written as [itex](x- a)(x- b)= x^2- (a+b)x+ ab= 0[/itex] where a and b are the roots. You can read both a+ b and ab directly from the equation and use them to find the harmonic mean.

4. Nov 26, 2012 #3
    Substitute x = 1/y. Then the roots of the quadratic equation for y are the reciprocals of the roots of the equation for x. In the quadratic equation for y, -b/a is the sum of the roots for y, and is also equal to the sum of the reciprocals of the roots for x.

5. Nov 28, 2012 #4

utkarshakash

Gold Member

Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook