Discover the Speed of Sound on a New Planet | Harmonics & Tube Type Explained

• Thread starter MissB16
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Harmonics
In summary, the crew of the spaceship used a tube with open and closed ends to measure the speed of sound on a new planet. By blowing across one end of the tube, they found resonant frequencies of 1620Hz and 1980Hz. Using the formula v=lambda*f, they calculated the speed of sound to be 360 m/s. The harmonics they found were the 9th and 11th for an open/closed tube. However, they were unsure of the formulas for the tubes and asked for help. They were directed to use the formulas for open and open/closed air columns to find the answer.
MissB16
I cannot figure this out! Please help!
Q: A Spaceship lands on a new planet. The crew decides to measure the speed of sound by blowing across one end of a tube. The tube is 50cm long, and the crew finds one resonant frequency at 1620Hz and the next resonant frequency at 1980Hz. What is the speed of sound? What is the number of each of the harmonics they found? What type of tube is the crew using- open/open, or open/closed?

I found the speed to be 360 m/s, but I have no idea how to find the harmonics! I don't know where to start! Help!

Physics news on Phys.org
How did you find the speed?

What's the formula for the harmonics for each type of tube?

I found the speed by the equation v=lambda*f which both frequencies came out to 360

I'm not sure what the formulas are for the tubes...that's my problem. I don't know how to go about finding the harmonics. Hopefully you physics genius's can help me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly 360 is what it says on my answer key and I subtracted 1980 from 1620 so I found lambda by V/f=lambda... the answer key says it's the 9th and 11th harmonics with a open/closed tube...I just need an explanation of how they got that answer.

MissB16 said:
Honestly 360 is what it says on my answer key
I'm not disputing the answer, only how you arrived at it. The way to get the answer is to use the formulas for the open and open/closed air columns that are in the links I gave you.

1. What is "Find The Harmonics HELP"?

"Find The Harmonics HELP" is a computer program designed to assist in finding the harmonics of a specific sound wave. It uses advanced algorithms and signal processing techniques to accurately identify and visualize the harmonics present in the sound wave.

2. How does "Find The Harmonics HELP" work?

The program takes in an audio file and applies Fourier analysis to decompose the sound wave into its individual harmonic components. It then displays the results in a graphical format, making it easier to identify and analyze the harmonics present in the sound.

3. Can "Find The Harmonics HELP" be used for any type of sound?

Yes, the program can be used for any type of sound as long as it is in a digital format. It is commonly used in music production, speech analysis, and scientific research.

4. Is "Find The Harmonics HELP" user-friendly?

Yes, the program is designed to be user-friendly and easy to use. It has a simple interface and provides clear visualizations of the harmonics, making it suitable for both beginners and advanced users.

5. Are there any limitations to "Find The Harmonics HELP"?

While the program is highly accurate in identifying harmonics, it may not be able to detect very low or high frequency harmonics due to limitations in the recording quality or the sound card used. It is also important to note that the accuracy of the results may vary depending on the complexity of the sound wave being analyzed.