1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the horizontal asymptote

1. Jul 8, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the horizontal asymptote(if there is one) using the rule for determining the horizontal asymptote of a rational function for (x^2+x-12)/ (x^2 -4)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

the degree of the numerator and denominator are both 2.

Y=(An)/(Bn)
    Y=1/1
    Y=1

When I do the math, the horizontal asymptote is the line y=1.

However when I graph this equation on a TI- 84 plus graphing calculator, if i use the trace, or table functions, the part of the graph that does not appear to cross the line y=1, does. Why is this?

Last edited: Jul 8, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 8, 2010 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

No, the degree of the numerator and denominator is 2. How did you get 1?
    The whole idea about a horizontal asymptote is to describe behavior of the function for very large x or very negative x. For very large (or very negative) values, the graph of the function won't cross the asymptote. For values of x that are relatively close to 0, the graph can cross the asymptote.

4. Jul 8, 2010 #3
    Sorry, yes the degree is 2, I typed the wrong number. Thank you for the quick response.

* I will correct that in the original posting, as it was a repeated typo

5. Jul 8, 2010 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Now this part is wrong -
    There are two things going on here: (1) the degrees of numerator and denominator, (2) the coefficients of the leading terms in the numerator and denominator.

In a rational function, when deg(numerator) = deg(denominator), the equation of the horizontal asymptote is y = an/bn. Here, an is the coefficient of the highest degree term in the numerator, and bn is the coefficient of the highest degree term in the denominator.

For your problem an = bn = 1.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook