Find the image of a projection

In summary, the given matrix satisfies the condition ##A^2=A## and is therefore a projection. To find the subspace ##U'##, we can find the kernel of ##A-I##, which is also equal to the image of ##A##. This can also be written as the kernel of ##2(A-I)##. Solving using Gauss Jordan elimination yields two different solutions for ##\textbf{x}##, but it can be shown that these solutions are equivalent. It is also mentioned that the columns of the matrix span the image, so every vector in the image can be represented by at least the linearly independent vectors in the matrix. However, it is unclear if ##U'## is the entire space
schniefen
TL;DR Summary
Show that the linear transformation with the matrix below with respect to a basis for ##\textbf{R}^4## is a projection on a subspace ##U'## along a subspace ##U''##. Find ##U'##.
## \dfrac{1}{2}
\left(\begin{array}{rrrr}
0 & 2 & -2 & 0 \\
3 & -2 & 2 & -3 \\
3 & -4 & 4 & -3 \\
-2 & 2 & -2 & 2
\end{array}\right)##​

The matrix satisfies ##A^2=A##, so it is a projection. To find ##U'##, one can find the ##\text{ker} \ (A-I)=\text{ker} \ (I-A)=\text{im} \ (A)=U'##. Also, ##\text{ker} \ (A-I)=\text{ker} \ (2(A-I))##.

Solving ##2(A-I)\textbf{x}=\textbf{0}## using Gauss Jordan elimination yields ##\textbf{x}=r(-2,-1,1,0)+t(-3,-3,0,1)## for ##t,r\in\textbf{R}##. But the solution given is ##\textbf{x}=r(0,3,3,-2)+t(1,-1,-2,1)##. Are these solutions equivalent? Since the columns of the matrix span the image, every vector in the image can be represented by at least the linear independent vectors in the matrix, which the latter solution does.

Physics news on Phys.org
schniefen said:
Summary: Show that the linear transformation with the matrix below with respect to a basis for ##\textbf{R}^4## is a projection on a subspace ##U'## along a subspace ##U''##. Find ##U'##.

## \dfrac{1}{2}
0 & 2 & -2 & 0 \\
3 & -2 & 2 & -3 \\
3 & -4 & 4 & -3 \\
-2 & 2 & -2 & 2
\end{array}\right)##​

The matrix satisfies ##A^2=A##, so it is a projection. To find ##U'##, one can find the ##\text{ker} \ (A-I)=\text{ker} \ (I-A)=\text{im} \ (A)=U'##. Also, ##\text{ker} \ (A-I)=\text{ker} \ (2(A-I))##.

Solving ##2(A-I)\textbf{x}=\textbf{0}## using Gauss Jordan elimination yields ##\textbf{x}=r(-2,-1,1,0)+t(-3,-3,0,1)## for ##t,r\in\textbf{R}##. But the solution given is ##\textbf{x}=r(0,3,3,-2)+t(1,-1,-2,1)##. Are these solutions equivalent?
I don't know whether Gauß elimination really results into the two vectors you listed. But to check whether the two solutions are equivalent, just test whether
$$
(-2,-1,1,0) \stackrel{?}{\in} r_1(0,3,3,-2)+t_1(1,-1,-2,1) \;\wedge\; (-3,-3,0,1) \stackrel{?}{\in} r_2(0,3,3,-2)+t_2(1,-1,-2,1)
$$
This is an easy system to solve. To me it doesn't look as if there were solutions ##r_i,t_i##, but I haven't checked.
Since the columns of the matrix span the image, every vector in the image can be represented by at least the linear independent vectors in the matrix, which the latter solution does.
To check whether your elimination process was correct, you could simply solve ##A(x)=x## by hand.

The given solution has a big advantage:
  1. One sees at once that ##\operatorname{rk}A =2## ...
  2. ... and that the first two or likewise last two column vectors are linearly independent,
... hence span the image of ##A##.

Likes schniefen
Could it be that the solution given is not correct? This (scroll down) matrix calculator gives the former solution. Note that the matrix there is ##2(A-I)##, which is

##
-2 & 2 & -2 & 0 \\
3 & -4 & 2 & -3 \\
3 & -4 & 2 & -3 \\
-2 & 2 & -2 & 0
\end{array}\right)##​

Why do you want to operate with ##2(A-I)## if ##A## alone has already all answers?

Anyway, what keeps you from solving the question whether the two solutions are equivalent? It can almost be done in mind! E.g. ##t_1=-2## follows immediately, which forces ##r_1=-1## by the second coordinate, and now simply check whether these settings match coordinate three and four. Same with the second vector.

Btw., do you know why ##\operatorname{ker}(2A-2I)=\operatorname{im}(A)## holds?

Likes schniefen
Solved it.

fresh_42 said:
Btw., do you know why ##\operatorname{ker}(2A-2I)=\operatorname{im}(A)## holds?

##\text{ker} \ (A-I)=\text{ker} \ (I-A)=\text{im} \ (A)=U'##

Or ##A(\textbf{u})=\textbf{u'} \iff A(\textbf{u'}+\textbf{u''})=\textbf{u'}##.

When ##\textbf{u'}=\textbf{0}##, it follows that ##A(\textbf{u''})=\textbf{0}##.

Yes, and no. The argument goes this way:
$$
A^2=A \Longrightarrow A\cdot A -A = A(A-I)=(A-I)A=0
$$
If ##v \in \operatorname{im}A## then there is a vector ##w## with ##v=A(w)##. Thus ##(A-I)(v)=(A-I)A(w)=0## and ##v\in \operatorname{ker} (A-I)##. This means we have shown that ##\operatorname{im}(A) \subseteq \operatorname{ker}(A-I)##.

Can you show why ##\operatorname{ker}(A-I) \subseteq \operatorname{im}(A)## and why multiplication by ##2## doesn't change neither kernel nor image?

fresh_42 said:
Can you show why ##\operatorname{ker}(A-I) \subseteq \operatorname{im}(A)## and why multiplication by ##2## doesn't change neither kernel nor image?

How would the argument go?

By the same method. We choose an element ##v\in \operatorname{ker}(A-I)##. Now what does this mean?

Likes schniefen
schniefen said:
Summary: Show that the linear transformation with the matrix below with respect to a basis for ##\textbf{R}^4## is a projection on a subspace ##U'## along a subspace ##U''##. Find ##U'##.

## \dfrac{1}{2}
0 & 2 & -2 & 0 \\
3 & -2 & 2 & -3 \\
3 & -4 & 4 & -3 \\
-2 & 2 & -2 & 2
\end{array}\right)##​

Solving ##2(A-I)\textbf{x}=\textbf{0}## using Gauss Jordan elimination yields ##\textbf{x}=r(-2,-1,1,0)+t(-3,-3,0,1)## for ##t,r\in\textbf{R}##. But the solution given is ##\textbf{x}=r(0,3,3,-2)+t(1,-1,-2,1)##. Are these solutions equivalent? Since the columns of the matrix span the image, every vector in the image can be represented by at least the linear independent vectors in the matrix, which the latter solution does.
I am a bit confused. Since they mention it is a projection along a subspace U', I would assume U' is not the whole of ##*\mathbb R^4##. Does ##A^2=A## hold in the entire ##\mathbb R^4##,i.e., is it an identity?

1. What is the purpose of finding the image of a projection?

The purpose of finding the image of a projection is to determine the final output or representation of a three-dimensional object on a two-dimensional surface. This is often used in fields such as computer graphics, engineering, and architecture to accurately represent objects in a more manageable form.

2. How is the image of a projection calculated?

The image of a projection is calculated by using mathematical formulas and techniques such as perspective projection or orthographic projection. These methods involve projecting the points of the object onto a plane or screen, resulting in a 2D representation of the object.

3. What factors can affect the image of a projection?

There are several factors that can affect the image of a projection, including the type of projection used, the distance between the object and the projection surface, and the orientation of the object. Other factors such as lighting, texture, and color can also impact the final image.

4. Can the image of a projection be distorted?

Yes, the image of a projection can be distorted depending on the type of projection used and the angle at which the object is viewed. For example, a perspective projection can result in distorted images if the object is viewed from an extreme angle.

5. How is the image of a projection used in real-world applications?

The image of a projection is used in various real-world applications, such as creating 2D blueprints or diagrams for building or manufacturing processes, designing video game environments, and creating accurate visualizations of architectural designs. It is also used in scientific fields such as astronomy and medicine to capture and analyze images of three-dimensional objects or structures.