Integrating Trigonometric Functions with Indefinite Integrals

• Thread starter Windowmaker
  • Start date
In summary, when integrating cos^3(πx-1), you can use the trig identity 1-sin^2(πx-1) = cos^2(πx-1) to simplify the integral. Then, you can make a substitution u = sin(πx-1) and use integration by parts to solve the integral. Don't forget to include the integration constant and to check your answer by taking the derivative.
Windowmaker

Homework Statement

integrate cos ^3(πx-1)

Homework Equations

1-sin^2(πx-1) = cos ^2 (πx-1)

The Attempt at a Solution

(1-sin^2(πx-1))cos(πx-1)

Let u = πx-1
1/ πdu = dx
1-sin^2(u )cos (u)

1/ π(X-1/3sin^3(u)

Basically I'm Confused on how to get past the trig identity part.

Physics news on Phys.org
π is Suppose to be pi i guess..

you don't really need to do a substitution for the argument of the cosine function, just use the trig identity like you did, factoring out a cos(∏x-1) and then make the subsitution u = sin(∏x -1) and du = ∏cos(∏x-1)dx and you get:

∫cos(∏x-1)dx -1/∏∫u2du

I see the answer in my book, but I'm not entirely sure there are no cosines in the answer.

Wow, that was more simple than i thought. Thank you! Its amazing how much an actual person can be when compared to a Textbook!

Don't forget the integration constant each time you don't have limits on the integral sign. Also the 'dx' if you're integrating wrt 'x' or 'du', if you're integrating wrt 'u', etc.

So that

∫ cos3(πx-1) dx = 'something(x)' + C

At the risk of stating the obvious, if the answer is not provided and you work an integral, take the derivative of your answer to check to see if you wind up with the integrand once again.

1. What is the purpose of finding the indefinite integral?

The purpose of finding the indefinite integral is to determine the original function that would result in the given derivative. It is also used to calculate the area under a curve, which has various applications in mathematics and science.

2. How is the indefinite integral different from the definite integral?

The indefinite integral does not have upper and lower limits, while the definite integral does. This means that the indefinite integral represents a family of functions, while the definite integral gives a specific value.

3. What are the steps involved in finding the indefinite integral?

The steps involved in finding the indefinite integral include identifying the integrand, using integration rules and techniques, and adding a constant of integration to represent the family of functions. The final step is to check the answer by taking the derivative.

4. What are some common integration rules used to solve indefinite integrals?

Some common integration rules include the power rule, which states that the integral of x^n is (x^(n+1))/(n+1), and the substitution rule, which involves replacing a variable with a substitution to simplify the integral.

5. Are there any tools or software available for finding indefinite integrals?

Yes, there are several tools and software available such as Wolfram Alpha, Symbolab, and Desmos. These tools use algorithms and integration rules to find indefinite integrals and provide step-by-step solutions.