Calculating the Inverse of AB: A^(-1)=[4,0;-2,2], B^(-1)=[-2,0;-2,3]

• Thread starter 1question
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inverse
In summary, the conversation was about finding the inverse of AB with given values for the inverses of A and B. The attempt at a solution involved using the equation for the inverse of AB, but it was incorrect because matrix multiplication is not commutative. The correct solution is to find the inverse of A and B separately, then multiply them and take the inverse, which results in the same value as B^(-1)*A^(-1).
1question

Homework Statement

Find the inverse of AB if A^(-1)= [4,0;-2,2] and B^(-1)=[-2,0;-2,3]. (See below for picture/additional information.)

Homework Equations

Inverse of AB = inverse of A*inverse of B

The Attempt at a Solution

Using above equation:

(AB)^(-1) = [4,0;-2,2]*[-2,0;-2,3] = [-8,0;0,6]

I don't understand why this is wrong. I calculated it by hand, and then used two different online matrix calculators when I was told it was wrong. The calculators agree with me. Am I entering it incorrectly? Here is a picture of the "full" question: http://imgur.com/foTsK2e.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Inverse of AB = inverse of B*inverse of A
Matrix multiplication does not commute!

h.krish360 said:
Inverse of AB = inverse of B*inverse of A
Matrix multiplication does not commute!

Um, what does commute mean in this context?

EDIT: Looked it up, and I don't understand why you say that. So what if BA doesn't work (haven't even tested it - don't see how it is applicable).

Last edited:
If you do the math to find A and B:

A = (A-1) -1

B = (B-1) -1

then multiply A and B, then take the inverse

(AB)-1

You'll find it's the same as (B-1) (A-1) and not the other way around. This is because matrix multiplicaion is associative, but not commutative (the next post has a link showing the math).

Last edited:
rcgldr said:
If you do the math to find A and B:

A = (A-1) -1

B = (B-1) -1

then multiply A and B, then take the inverse

(AB)-1

You'll find it's the same as (B-1) (A-1) and not the other way around. This is because matrix multiplicaion is associative, but not commutative (the next post has a link showing the math).

So the inverse of AB should be B^(-1)*A^(-1)? Tried it: got the question right.

Thank you.

EDIT: My textbook got it right, I just didn't pay attention. Whoops...

Last edited:

1. What is the definition of an inverse in mathematics?

An inverse is a mathematical operation that undoes another operation. In other words, if an operation "A" is performed on a number, the inverse operation "A^-1" will bring the number back to its original value.

2. How is the inverse of a matrix calculated?

The inverse of a matrix is calculated by using the determinant and the adjugate of the matrix. The adjugate is found by taking the transpose of the cofactor matrix, which is created by finding the determinants of all the minor matrices within the original matrix.

3. Can any matrix have an inverse?

No, not all matrices have an inverse. A matrix must be square (equal number of rows and columns) and have a non-zero determinant to have an inverse.

4. What is the purpose of finding the inverse of a matrix?

Finding the inverse of a matrix is useful in solving systems of linear equations, as well as in other areas of mathematics such as calculus and optimization. It can also be used to calculate the solution to a matrix equation.

5. Is the inverse of AB equal to the inverse of B multiplied by the inverse of A?

No, in general, the inverse of AB is not equal to the inverse of B multiplied by the inverse of A. However, this is true for some special cases, such as when A and B are both diagonal matrices or when they commute with each other.